Sign in to follow this  
slugmaster100

KR sensor questions...

Good day one and all....

Right... on the back of the cylinder head on the KR (1.8 16v) engine, there are 3 temperature sensors - I believe all coolant. On the back of the head, at the very end of cylinder 4 area, there is another sensor. Is this also for coolant? :scratch:

For these 4 sensors, does anyone know what resistance readings I should get from them at various engine temperature (a graph or table would be nice!).

On the 3 on the back when the engine was virtually cold, I had 2 reading approx 0.42ohms, and one at 0.20ohms ish! Does this mean one is a bit dodge?

Also whilst on the subject... at the other end of the cylinder head, this time at the front left side as you look at it, on the very corner of cyl 1 area cam cover, there is a bracket with a fat sensor thats a bit loppy (looks like some kind of temperature sensor to me) with one wire to it. I put my ohm meter on that and got 0 ohms... so straight to earth I think. What is this sensor for and what will it affect?

Thanks for your patience!!!

Rich.

The single sender at the back of the head is the oil temp sender for the mfa reading.

The single 'fat' sender on the lhs is the fan over-run thermo switch and should read 0 when the engine is cool. It keeps the rad fan running for a few mins after you shut the engine off.

I wouldn't worry about the 0.2 ohms variation on one of the senders on the side of the head. They aren't the most precise sensors in the world, and that sort of variation is pretty small in comparrison to the overall resistance range. I have data for one of those sensors that I calibated between -5 deg and 100deg. I'll try and find where I noted it down.

Nice one....

I'll look elsewhere to find why my MPG is so poor at the mo! :lol:

If you can find those figures tho, that'd be great as it'd be nice to know they're ok!

Thanks again, Rich.

Well, the easiest way to rule out those senders is to swap the plugs around on the three of them. They are all identical so if one is acting up it may be easier to spot that way.

Also, measuring the resistance on each as the engine warms up could be useful. Just to check that the warm up regulator etc. are being switched off as the engine gets up to temp.