Sign in to follow this  
Flexso

Oettinger?????

Hi all,

Hoping someone will be able to shed some light on a few secrets my car seems to be keeping from me.

I have popped a photo below of a sticker I have on the bonnet in the engine bay labelled Oettinger. Does anyone recognise this label and more importantly what the hell it means? :confused4:

When I bought the car it seemed completely originally (appart from some rubbish ripspeed wheels) But on closer inspection there is a 4 branch manifold?!?! Kind of a weird mod seeing as it still had the original exhaust system.

Any ideas will be more than welcome. Would love to shed some light on this....

if you google Oettinger that may shed some light.....apparently a german tunning company, you might be in luck, does it feel fast :D

Well strangely it its quite gutless it at the bottom end.............. but 4k plus it has a surge followed by a second kick just over 5k. Very weird? I'm thinking that there might be some performance cams sitting under the rocker cover.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After reading that thread alarm bells are going off in my head. 90% of the service history in my book is a Scotts in London! :shock:

Anyone with any other info please post!

Here's a translation:

IMPORTANT REFERENCES

OETTINGER KR ENGINE - 1800 E/16 VX

Zundkerzen (Spark plugs) - F6BTC

Zundzeitpunkt (Ignition timing) - 6deg +- 1deg BTDC

Co-Gehalt (CO Content) - 1,0 +_ 0.5%

Leerlaufdrezahl (Idling speed) - 1000 +- 50rpm

Motorolmenge (Engine oil blend) - 4ltr with filter change

Examine and Adjust conditions as per VAG for KR Engine.

:salute:

After some light research, it does seem that the original engine in your car is a worked on Oettinger engine. They put that engine in the Mk1 Golf too as a special edition. Just google "Oettinger E/16" and translate the pages.

boost monkey, you are star. Thanks for the translation. The engine looks physically identical apart from the exhaust manifold.

Me and my friend tom (bananawhip) are thinking that there are some dif cams.

No probs, I have quite a few german VW books kicking about. I'd look up the oettinger tuning package for you, but Dirtytorque has my VW History book!

If you can find that out a would be in your debt. Its quite exciting when something like this shows up on your car.

Never seen a Corrado that's been fettled by Oettinger before.. quite a rarity :)

Makes sense that the car came from Scotts, they were the licensed franchise for Oettinger and the only other tuner other than GTI Engineering that VW honoured warranties on modified engines.

I believe Oettinger offered a similar range of engine conversions to GTI, so an H plate 1.8 16v Corrado would have been available as a new car with work already done to the engine including 2L coversions, gasflowed heads, aftermarket cams and non standard manifolds and downpipes.

hmmm, I need to do some serious searching. Look wise the engine bay is indentical to the normal one. I am going to speak to scotts and see if they can find any history on it. I will also post some engine bay photos to see if I have missed anything that you guys might recognise.

yeah, it would look the same, it's the head internals that are modified, the 4 branch just gives a little more power at the top end and works well with a flowed head and hotter cams, the rest of the exhaust system is not too restrictive so there's not much to be gained from changing that.