Sign in to follow this  
coullstar

rear brake replacement issues

Well Ive managed to get the old discs etc off with no issues, amazingly the caliper carrier bolts come out no bother. The problem now comes with the new set up.

With new discs and pads and the caliper put back on the outer pads are cocked out. It appears that central raised part on the pad backing plate cannot locate in the slot in the caliper body. Its like the pads are too wide. I tried the old pads and it the same so something must be missing. The caliper body is sitting too far inboard compared to the disc.

I'll look again tomorrow as it was dark when I got them on but Im sure its something obvious Ive missed.

Any ideas? I think i mixed up the carriers when cleaning them but surely there not sided, or are they?

Im 95% everything went on as it came off. Im sitting thinking about it and coming up with nothing. The disc seems to be sitting in the right place i.e. running righ in the carrier.

Mmm, worth checking but dont think so. Just checked Vagcat and there is different part number for the right and left carriers so maybe thats it. What a PITA, Ive done this loads of times and never seen this before. :lol:

Sod it im going to the pub!!!

good move, a hangover always helps when working on a car on a sunday morning :lol:

Well it worked :lol: Put the two pads together and the new ones have an extra bit on the backing plate. Must be the wrong ones sent. Bought the full package of ebay about 6 months ago, shit happens.