Sign in to follow this  
matty golf

vr6 obd2 into 9 a raddo

I know i will get the answer y build when u can buy but i have soured a low milage vr lump and my valver is getting rattly and using lots of fuel, i have done an abf into an 8 v digipant so im aware of wiring keys ecu etc just asking about fuel pumps do i need to change them or are they capeable of running the vr.

the noise has just got to me and i cant afford a 3.2 yet. and my car is straight and low milage

any 1?. I have read on a thread that the obd2 lump has extra wiring and corrado bits need to be added is this just when obd 2 wiring is put onto a obd 1 as there aint all that much wiring with the 9a.

What do u use as fuel pumps original the pump housings on the mk 3 are the same as the raddo so im guessin to swop this with my 9 a 1. Have done a search but to no avail ,but that might just be me

No idea about fuel pumps, it would make sense that you need to use a VR one but if you plan on using a VR lump in a valver body then you will need VR wings, bonnet, and all the widetrack stuff like hubs, driveshafts, subframe etc.

To go OBD2 requires a load of wiring to be done, not sure what but apparently it takes a long time and can be a bit of a pig as you will have to first get your obd2 wired up to the the obd1 then wire it into the car...

at least that's how i see it anyway, sure someone will be along soonish to correct me :D

and no offense mate, but a few full stops here and there will make your posts much easier to understand and therefore more likely to get a response. :wink:

from previous experience mate, use your exsisting fuel pump. the 16v pump actually runs at a higher pressure which will feed the vr lump comfortablely. as for wiring it in, nothing needs to be done (just make sure you have the correct relays etc) the fuel pump looms on 16v's and vr's are pretty much the same, concentrate on the engine + transponder loom if your going obd2 straight away, thats all you have to wire in to get the engine to go. odb1 is easy to wire into a 16v fusebox, obd2 shouldnt be much more difficult as long as you have the whole kit which it sounds you do.

chris

A friend of mine and member on this site (tombell999) has literally just finished dropping an obd2 into his KR, I've driven it and it's a good conversion.

I'd try him for any parts queries etc as I know he had to source a few random bits he didn't think he'd need.

cheers mate will drop him a pm.

Yeh i can get everythin i want cause at the mo it is still in a the mk 3, I was guesing it all plugs in to the fuse box although i will pobly take the mk 3 1 and relays. Am i right in thinking obd 2 is only a pig to fit when going onto an obd1 engine, but straight from fresh it shouldnt be 2 bad.

Also the abs that is in my car has its own ecu do i use the mk 3 wiring for this or leave as existing,

cheers

cheers mate will drop him a pm.

Yeh i can get everythin i want cause at the mo it is still in a the mk 3, I was guesing it all plugs in to the fuse box although i will pobly take the mk 3 1 and relays. Am i right in thinking obd 2 is only a pig to fit when going onto an obd1 engine, but straight from fresh it shouldnt be 2 bad.

Also the abs that is in my car has its own ecu do i use the mk 3 wiring for this or leave as existing,

cheers

I'm really not too sure mate to be honest, Tom's car had no ABS so it was never a problem. As for the fusebox again it's a bit of a mystery to me. I know the wiring was more of a chore then the actual fitting of the engine, a fair amount of work involved so good luck with it

Ok well to start you really don't need to change ur wings, bonnet etc the only thing tht rubs on the underside of the bonnet is the plastic lead runners... You will probably need a be subframe ( highly advised) and the engine will fit straight in there! As for the wiring I didn't do it and never will ( it really is the harder part of the conversion! Remember also u need to change hubs etc aswell. Like u said mate a lot of people are going to say don't bother but I would do it all again because as far as I know I'm the only one with an early nugget obd2 vr! It's well worth it mate honest! Got any problems give me a pm. :)