Sign in to follow this  
carter711

Dipped beam has decided to not work?

Hi,

A few days ago the dipped beam on my VR6 began to flicker everynow and again and now it was stopped working all together! If I want to use full beam I can only do so if I hold the steering column stalk towards me so it stays on.

The greeny light on the headlight switch was also fickering in sync with the headlights.

I've tried having a look at the connections at the back of the headlights but they all seem fine, the next thing I can think to do is to take the headlights off and clean up the connections.

Everynow and again the dipped beam will come on again, but it's very unreliable. I'm getting tired of driving around with only my sidelights and fogs on!

Has anybody else experienced this problem?

Any help appreciated!

Cheers.

Sounds like a headlight switch or relay problem that mate :) Does it have an uprated loom fitted? The early ones tended to have poor quality fuse holders and relays that tended to cause problems...

Neil.

Quick update! Sorry for the delay....

The car did have an uprated headlight loom fitted by the previous owner but he took it off and re fitted the standard as he said it didn't work too well.

I bought a second hand headlight switch (late type) from ebay for £24.40 delivered which isn't a bargain price but I figured it was worth it as second hand ones are becoming rarer. I've also heard rumours that VW have stopped making new units?

I fitted the switch this afternoon and the headlights work exactly as they should. However, i noticed that the brown wire had melted its insulating plastic off almost completey!

I recovered it in electrical tape but am not happy about it.

Does anyone know how to stop this from happening?

Also, is it possible to fit another VAG switch inplace of the Corrado one? As they are such a weakspot I wouldn't mind using a more readily available switch and saving my new late Corrado switch for when I eventually come to sell the car...

Cheers.

Mine has a MK2 golf headlight switch fitted by the previous owner havnt had any probs with it atall and should be able to pick one up from a scrappy easily!!