Sign in to follow this  
til2143

Koni T/As and H&R springs

Hey lads, did anyone buy this combination for a VR lately? Where is the best/cheapest place to buy them? cheers

the ones on my car cost £477 4 years ago and may well be for sale soon if money works out to get some new stuff on..

the ones on my car cost £477 4 years ago and may well be for sale soon if money works out to get some new stuff on..

Would they have much miles done? how did you find them?

yes, they're good, especially out on the open road, just not so good in central london's generally shabby roads though! have probably done about 25k but no issues at all that i am aware of. could get them checked out by a garage at a service though. let me know if you might be interested.

yes, they're good, especially out on the open road, just not so good in central london's generally shabby roads though! have probably done about 25k but no issues at all that i am aware of. could get them checked out by a garage at a service though. let me know if you might be interested.

I think ill go for new ones while im at it, cheers anyway Dukest, im sure you will have no bother selling them tho!

Just as a guideline:

H&R Springs, £220 delivered from here

Rear Dampers, £200 for the pair, top adjustable type from here

Front dampers, £300 for the pair, top adjustable type from here

Probably a few cheaper around but make sure you make a note of the shock absorber numbers (the product code) as a lot of sites use a generic image of a top adjustable complete strut when they are selling an off-the car adjustable insert cartridge. You don't need the shorter koni sport front strut if you are using the H&Rs as they will go together, the other problem with the shorter sport front is that it is not gas filled so will behave differently to the back strut.

Keep in mind that you may need new spring top caps depending on the age of your car but I would budget to replace all the suspension bits in one job so that they are wear evenly - it makes a massive difference (did on my car, despite only having done 70k miles at the time) so add wishbones, tie rod ends, rear beam bushes, anti roll bar links and bushes, ball joints to the list. You will need bump stops, top mounts, bump stop plastic covers and I would get spring caps too.

Oh and the genuine VAG stuff is a lot better than aftermarket parts, so that will be around £1500 before labour....

Hi,

Looking at those prices I was damn lucky. Managed to pick up the shocks and springs for less than £300.

I had old coilovers fitted previously and these are miles better. They make the car much more compliant on the road and lower about 40mm. The adjustability helps although Ive not played around with them much.

I replaced all the top mounts, springs plates, bump stops etc at the same time which added about another £100 on top but its worth doing.

Just as a guideline:

H&R Springs, £220 delivered from here

Rear Dampers, £200 for the pair, top adjustable type from here

Front dampers, £300 for the pair, top adjustable type from here

Probably a few cheaper around but make sure you make a note of the shock absorber numbers (the product code) as a lot of sites use a generic image of a top adjustable complete strut when they are selling an off-the car adjustable insert cartridge. You don't need the shorter koni sport front strut if you are using the H&Rs as they will go together, the other problem with the shorter sport front is that it is not gas filled so will behave differently to the back strut.

Keep in mind that you may need new spring top caps depending on the age of your car but I would budget to replace all the suspension bits in one job so that they are wear evenly - it makes a massive difference (did on my car, despite only having done 70k miles at the time) so add wishbones, tie rod ends, rear beam bushes, anti roll bar links and bushes, ball joints to the list. You will need bump stops, top mounts, bump stop plastic covers and I would get spring caps too.

Oh and the genuine VAG stuff is a lot better than aftermarket parts, so that will be around £1500 before labour....

Cheers for all the info, ive emailed a few firms for prices and havent got any replies yet, prob will replace rear beam bushes, bump stops and plastic covers, im not gonna touch the rest as she has only done 42k, thanks again

Hi,

Looking at those prices I was damn lucky. Managed to pick up the shocks and springs for less than £300.

I had old coilovers fitted previously and these are miles better. They make the car much more compliant on the road and lower about 40mm. The adjustability helps although Ive not played around with them much.

I replaced all the top mounts, springs plates, bump stops etc at the same time which added about another £100 on top but its worth doing.

You certainly got a great deal at that price, were did you pick them up :wink: