Sign in to follow this  
iandavidcassidy

HELP!! rear banging

got my car checked out today for rear left banging/scraping noise over 60mph.

The guy couldn't find anything wrong but said it could be crap tyres (michelin!!) i don't agree as the noise isn't always there, very intermittant.

He noticed the front engine mount was gone and showed me the engine lift loads (all most out of the car!)

would this also cause the rear noise ie. pulling exhuast onto axle etc?

cheers

If your engine mount is really gubbed and the car is lowered a bit ,when you accel the rear silencer may be rattling off the back axle. What kind of exhaust you got?

Depends on which front mount the guy is fitting. If its a standard one i dont think they are much more than £80. So £40 labour is not to bad. Its not that bad to fit , just a little on the tight side. I would get it done soon thogh. You may end up damaging your downpipe or the radiator with the amount of engine movement.

I have heard good reports about vibratechnics mounts but they are expensive. About £120 for a front one.

thanks - the garage seems good and was recommended on here. ET motors seven sisters north london. I am always worried about getting done though, bit of a novice.

the whole car is standard, exhaust too.

the banging is what i am really worried about, if he can't work it out then i never will, any ideas?

exhaust i would say-look for rub marks on the axle and the exhaust!

mine bangs but only since putting stainless janspeed on although it is a good fit and my cars lowered...

try changing your exhaust rubbers...i have to do mine 2-3 times a year

does anybody think its worth getting uprated ones?? do they last any longer?? i swear by cable ties??!!

does it make a difference if the cars car is fully laden or just you in it--mine always worse with passengers(who needs `em???)

no screach noise!!??!! just bangs especially over bumps!

a ramp would help but you could jack it up...use a proper trolley jack and axle stands if your getting underneath your car(safety first!!!)

look for rub marks at the point where the exhaust crosses over the rear axle-you should see thats its quite close anyway!

no idea about the schreach though unless the exhaust is rubbing constantly???!!

good luck bud!!

just been told my front mount is totally gone i.e had the car serviced and the guy at the garage did not tell me....he said there was a bit of a movement, but its common....anyway bought the front mount for £30 from gsf and labour is £40.... the guy said he will give me a discount.........so hopefully should get it all done for £60............all started from the thermo time switch....long story. .......my exhaust is hitting the underside because of the mount. should get the car back tommorrow morning........

cool - good news, i have just had it done today for 145, including oil leak sorted. looks like me been done! whats gfs? is there a website?

Anyhow, this banging noise is still there, garage can't solve the probem (swapped wheels and test drove etc, but still there.) It's all down the left side and sounds like your going over a cattle grid, only after 70mph and more frequently when braking.

Any more ideas, i am desperate, need to get home for christmas! Any one heard of this problem? :(

That sounds like the exhaust on the back axle. I

t'll be worse if the car is lowered. Other things that compound the problem are the rubbers. Just go mad spend a tenner and change the whole lot. I have also replaced shagged bumpstops to help cure exhaust issues on lowered cars.

Of course the exhaust could just want fitting better?

Gavin

yes - i thought that, the garage was sure that it wouldn't be that as it would happen at all speeds. If it continues to bang, will it be safe to drive 300 miles home for christmas?

wish i could do things myself! :?

cheers

It will move a bit it will depend on the state of the rubbers. There is a flexy joint in the downpipe which allows a bit too.

Gavin

It should be good for the drive home. Where are you going that's 300 miles from London?

deep deep south wales, it's a long pleasant drive, got the car a fortnight ago so worried weather it'll make it.

i'll tell the garage to do the rubbers and that should stop the banging, it's very scary when it first happens, should the labour be much?

cool - good news, i have just had it done today for 145, including oil leak sorted. looks like me been done! whats gfs? is there a website?

:(

i take it your meaning GSF...............aka German Swedish and French.......EuroCarParts rivals..........with probably about the same network of dealers :wink: