Sign in to follow this  
neil w

16v Brake upgrade ADVICE

Help, I'm getting very confused as how to carry out a 280mm front brake upgrade on my 1994 2.0 16v corrado running on 16 inch wheels.

I want to upgrade the front brakes to G60 spec retaining the 4 stud hubs, I realise that the discs (either standard or upgraded ) are easily obtained being the same as Ibiza 2.0 16v models and that the pads are the same as the VR6 models.

It's which front calipers to use that has me confused. From what I can make out the LUCAS calipers on the G60 models are the the same as those on the Corrado VR6, the golf MK3 GTI's and VR6 models BUT which front caliper carriers will I need to fit them.

Looking at the 5 stud and 4 stud discs the offsets appear to be different so I am asuming that the caliper carriers are different.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Right, you need Corrado G60 discs (Same as 4-stud Ibiza) and Pads (Pads same as VR6)

You need the Calipers from either a G60 or Corrado VR6 or Seat Ibiza as above with the matching carriers.

Ta for the reply, can you confirm are the calipers different between the 16v and the g60 or is it just the caliper carriers ?

The calipers are different castings... they are both Girling 54's so you don't need to change the master cylinder but the G60/VR6 ones are wider to take the slightly thicker disc and pads... (Pads are 19mm rather than 16mm on the valvers)