Sign in to follow this  
PROVR6

Done something Stupid

Ive been in the process of polishing my car and masked up all the trim. Unfortunately I did it over a few weekends and didn't take the masking off.

Yep youv'e guessed it its stuck on there like a mutha. Tried getting it off today using a combination of white spirit, wd40, engine degreaser hot water and a lot of swearing. It is coming off but not 100% and slowly. Anybody got any tips to speed up the process.

Is it still possible to buy the rubber trims around the windows, the bump strips and the roof strips new from VW?

No I didn't. Thats a good idea. Ive already peeled it and as you can imagine some has come off and some has split and is stuck on. Ill try the hair dryer on the remnants tommorrow.

you can buy specific sticky stuff remover from places like Focus and B&Q that get this kind of sticky stuff off really easily... :)

It's citrus based, so won't screw your paintwork, electrics, rubber hoses etc up either... 8)

methalated spirit is good for sticky stuff, dunno how different from white spirit it will work but thats what we use at work,. i hate the smell of it :gag:

in our paintshop we use something called M700 Anti static, Best thing to do i find is a proper heat gun, works a treat :D

Ive done one side with a heat gun and it works but is still really time consuming. Gonna try some of that citrus on the other side. Jeez it would have been far easier to clean the wax off. Oh well you live and learn.