Sign in to follow this  
bttucks

g60 running very poor after fitting cam belt

i have just fitted a new cam belt to my g6o and when started up it was running very poor like it was going to cut out , when timing it up i did not really time up the intermediate shaft would this cause it to run very poor hope some one can help thanks

Yes - the intermediate shaft needs to be timed correctly because it drives the distributor, and obviously the timing is a critical part of the engine running!

You will need to take it apart again and time up the intermediate shaft correctly with the cam and crank I'm afraid.

Tom

cool, didnt time it as didnt really think it would matter as thought it ran my oil pump but as i know now it is pretty important thanks for you help

yeah the int shaft drives the dizzy. take your cap off and when at tdc the rotor arm should point the notch in dizzy

Yes - the intermediate shaft needs to be timed correctly because it drives the distributor, and obviously the timing is a critical part of the engine running!

You will need to take it apart again and time up the intermediate shaft correctly with the cam and crank I'm afraid.

Tom

Not necessarily,but if it is wildly out because you paid no attention to its position at all it is probably best to.

it it is just out a few degree's then he can just set the ignition timing like any other digifant car with timing light/blue temp sensor unplugged loosening dizzy and turning etc..

Thinking about it the fact that it runs makes me think that it is not too far out and he can get it in spec by moving the distributor with the aid of a timing light.

Tom

Not necessarily,but if it is wildly out because you paid no attention to its position at all it is probably best to.

it it is just out a few degree's then he can just set the ignition timing like any other digifant car with timing light/blue temp sensor unplugged loosening dizzy and turning etc..

Thinking about it the fact that it runs makes me think that it is not too far out and he can get it in spec by moving the distributor with the aid of a timing light.

cool will try this first and see how it goes thanks

It did occur to me to suggest adjusting the timing in the normal Digifant way to compensate, but to be honest this strikes me as a bit of a bodge and the OP has the time/inclination to do it properly then its better to do that.

And yeah, by taking it all apart I meant removing the necessary pulleys, covers and slackening the tensioner enough to allow you to turn the intermediate shaft to its correct position.

It did occur to me to suggest adjusting the timing in the normal Digifant way to compensate, but to be honest this strikes me as a bit of a bodge and the OP has the time/inclination to do it properly then its better to do that.

And yeah, by taking it all apart I meant removing the necessary pulleys, covers and slackening the tensioner enough to allow you to turn the intermediate shaft to its correct position.

its what it is there for,to allow for fine adjuestment.

The timing can't be too far out or else the car wouldn't start.

OP is there a tamper proof plastic cover on the distributor bolt?

If not then the distributor may have been moved in the past and so the intermediate data mark can't be trusted anyway and so to ensure factory timing settings the dizzy will have to be adjusted and a timing light used for verification with the blue temp sender removed.

hi have adjusted intermediate shaft and is all ok thanks for the help ,have a question while on the subject i have read that it is advised to change the crank bolt and use a dx engine bolt, just wondered were i could get one and what is the dx engine ?