Sign in to follow this  
Rick

heater matrix removal

i recently had to change the non return valve on my c cos the heaters packed up i wanna get the matrix out to clean it cos i think is gunged up is it hard job and does all the coolant spill into the footwell?

I've done the job on the mk2 golf I'm pretty sure it will be similar on the Corrado.

The whole airbox comes out as one piece so you shouldn't spill any coolant. Once the airbox is out, the matrix can be removed.

Might be better to replace the matrix as they are less than £30 (for the mk2 anyway).

You will struggle to clean it as hard deposits will of built up inside, mine still flowed water but did not transfer the heat into the car.

Might be worth a try disconnecting the heater hoses while the matrix is still in the car, and running a hosepipe through the matrix, both ways to see if it will clear a blockage.

You sure its not just the safety valves at fault?

Try using Mr Muscle Plug and Drain Cleaner. This was a local mechanics tip for cleaning clogged heat exchangers. Worked a treat on mine, the amount of gunk that came out was amazing. Its a bit awkward to use as its very thick, but if you disconnect the 2 hoses and reconnect them facing upwards, it makes it easier to pour the stuff in. Pour the stuff in, and leave it for a few hours, then stick a hose on the end of the out pipe and blast the gunk out.

There's a few threads on here about removing the matrix, and it looks like a dash out job (tho someone reckons it is possible without taking the dash out).

Also as andy says, the recall or safety vaves do have a habit of sticking.

Caustic soda in other words.......

Don't get any of that stuff on your hands :?

K

:lol: Yea it hurts - for hours! :oops: