Sign in to follow this  
Serial

Buying engines from eBay

Just wondered if anyone has had any experience buying engines from eBay? I'm pondering getting a 2nd hand AAA to replace my shot ABV unit. There's always a few up for around £250 or so - is that a reasonable price or is it eBay markup?

Any info about a reliable place to get decent second hand engines (or who has an AAA for sale!) much appreciated! :D

Cheers

Tom

Just wondered if anyone has had any experience buying engines from eBay? I'm pondering getting a 2nd hand AAA to replace my shot ABV unit. There's always a few up for around £250 or so - is that a reasonable price or is it eBay markup?

Any info about a reliable place to get decent second hand engines (or who has an AAA for sale!) much appreciated! :D

Cheers

Tom

depends on miles a lot I guess, there's a sharan in the scrappy nr me in Northampton (is that a AAA?) he usually wants around 100-150 notes for a complete engine, but I'd imagine that's got 100K plus on it.

always best to hear the engine running in a car, if you can find something like a passat VR they can be had as a complete motor for a few hundred quid usually, if you can find one.

depends on miles a lot I guess, there's a sharan in the scrappy nr me in Northampton (is that a AAA?) he usually wants around 100-150 notes for a complete engine, but I'd imagine that's got 100K plus on it.

always best to hear the engine running in a car, if you can find something like a passat VR they can be had as a complete motor for a few hundred quid usually, if you can find one.

Just phoned a local scrappy and they also have a V6 sharan in that starts & drives so I may go & take a look at it.. He says he wants £400 for the engine only which seems pretty steep.

dont want to go down the 24v route?

Yes. :) I would much prefer to get a nice R32 in there but funds simply don't allow it at present. :( Currently I just wanna get the car back on the road so I can drive it this summer, rather than the ropey old Fiesta I have at present...

Tom

The scrappy I called earlier in the week now has a Mk4 golf 4motion -- any ideas on a reasonable price for just the engine? Not sure of the mileage just yet but he wants £750 excluding gearbox etc...

Cheers

Tom