Sign in to follow this  
Emkayvr6

My 1st Corrado - Updated P3 Rear axle refurb and new lights

Well time i updated my thread, have doen a few bits and pieces since i last time :

heres few pics from after its 1st machine polish and wax :

SDC10183.jpg

SDC10182.jpg

SDC10179.jpg

SDC10184.jpg

SDC10197.jpg

SDC10199.jpg

SDC10202.jpg

SDC10203.jpg

SDC10091.jpg

SDC10092.jpg

SDC10093.jpg

Next up the wheel bearing decide it had enough the same weekend i had to move house, yeah cheers rado :lol:

When i took it apart hub literally fell off, bearing was proper fecked :

SDC10112.jpg

SDC10114.jpg

No photo's of it back together as didn't have time to piss about takin photo's

next up other than an oil change and new plugs was my 1st mod on it.....A change of steering wheel, wasn't exactly planned but when the original one started melting in my hands had to get it changed, Picked up a momo champion locally

Old one:

SDC10292.jpg

Boss on:

SDC10294.jpg

Momo on :D

SDC10297.jpg

Feels and looks much better than OEM one IMO

Next thing to get changed was the exhaust, it had started blowin from the weld on the middle box and the old one didn't look like it was gonna last much longer so ordered up a jetex stainless cat back system for it :

SDC10312.jpg

Fitted:

SDC10374.jpg

SDC10380.jpg

My dirty mug after crawlin underneath the beast for a couple of hours :lol:

SDC10377.jpg

Was a pretty good fit and really pleased with the sound of it, not too loud until you boot it and raise the revs and a nice bassy rumble rather than a chavvy fart!

Few weeks later and started loosing a bit of water and could smell coolant inside the car, very small damp patch at back of centre console...bollox heater matrix on the way out, so out with the dash :

Halfway there

SDC10384.jpg

All out:

SDC10388.jpg

Whats for dinner?......dashboard hhhmmmm my favourite :lol:

SDC10390.jpg

New matrix next to old one:

SDC10389.jpg

Old one wasn't leaking to bad but think i got it just in time before it went completely and flooded me footwells. Went a bit mad and the OCd kicked in and cleaned all parts of the dashboard and the heater pipes inside and out, was 15 years worth of shit in there after all :lol:

All cleaned and back together:

SDC10391.jpg

At the same time picked up some new ht leads from vw and fitted them:

SDC10381-Copy.jpg

SDC10385.jpg

wouldn't normally go to vw for leads but thing the red just sets the bay off nicely and they will last longer:

Thats pretty much it so far, have got Mot end of month and the rear axle bushes are fecked and so is one of the flexi brake hoses, copper hard lines don't looked great either so picked up another rear beam which i've derusted cleaned up and painted, just got to fit some new bushes, new pressure regulator, make up some hard lines and fit the goodridge hoses ive got, then swap it over, have some new abs rings to go in as these can be a pain not to break when takin the stub axle off and might stick some new rear wheels bearings in while im at it, will keep you up to date as things get done

cheers

mart

:lol: Oh the joys of corrado ownership, its a bottomless pit now you've gone this far, you are hooked, it draws you in, you dont know when to stop, you are an addict :pale: :lol: top work though :notworthy:

The C looks a beauty, pity about the light covers though. Sure you must have seen the stick-on protective plastic sheets for these though?

Combination looks businesslike! C adrenalin must be pretty thin after a session on that! :shock:

Cheers guys

:lol: Oh the joys of corrado ownership, its a bottomless pit now you've gone this far, you are hooked, it draws you in, you dont know when to stop, you are an addict :pale: :lol: top work though :notworthy:

Haha yep the addiction's gettin stronger :lol: Whilst removing the rear axle seen other little bits that i want to sort out, just wish i could take it off the road for a while and get em sorted, know its gonna start buggin me..... :lol:

The C looks a beauty, pity about the light covers though. Sure you must have seen the stick-on protective plastic sheets for these though?

Combination looks businesslike! C adrenalin must be pretty thin after a session on that! :shock:

Yeah fogs and indicator's are all cracked :( but have replacements on the way to go on :D , Will have a look at the protective sheets

looks really good. Nice steady progress :salute:

Cheers, Would like faster progress but money and time make it otherwise

Will update soon

Mart

hey you've been busy, defo good progress, need all that sort of stuff sorting myself :D

Didn;t realise it had been so long since i last updated this thread, have done a fair bit since last update, starting with some different rear lights. picked up some inpro all clear rears cheap but dont like the all clears so tinted the bottom half red, i prefer them to the standard ones as i hate orange, Need to get some silver ind bulbs tho as just have orange ones in at the mo. Might tint the standard ones so they're all red and see which i prefer anyway a few pics:

Sanded, preped and masked up:

SDC10420.jpg

Tinted and then Laquered:

SDC10421.jpg

Polished and fitted:

SDC10422.jpg

SDC10423.jpg

next up i had things planned to do for Mot but car let me down for only the 2nd time in 12k miles of rado ownership so can't complain, Brake Master Cylinder went which kinda kick started the mot work as well. M/c was a bit of a ball ache to get hold of, was twice supplied with the wrong M/c, including once from the dealers :roll: but 3rd time lucky and i got the right part(as the cost of 240 quid :shock: )Anyway here's the list of everythin that i ended up doin:

Uprated Headlight Loom (dipped and main)(from Kur2y on here)

Uprated Headlight bulbs

O/S Headlight housing

Refurbished Rear Beam with new :

Rear Axle Bushes

Brake Pressure Reg + Spring

Rear Axle Mount bolts

Stub axle bolts + Washers

Lower Strut bolts + Nuts

Cover Ring

Caliper Carrier Bolts

Rear Brake Splash Shields

O/S/R Brake Caliper (N/S caliper and both carriers cleaned, de rusted and painted)

O/S/R Handbrake Cable

New Copper Brake lines :

Pressure Reg. TO Rear Calipers + ABS TO Front Calipers

Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Hoses

ABS Brake Master CYlinder

Brake and Clutch fluid replaced

Gearbox oil Replaced

Front Brake Pads

Time for a few pics:

Uprated headlight loom :

SDC10431.jpg

Lights, n grill out ready

SDC10434.jpg

New loom simply plugs into old loom and headlight connections

SDC10437.jpg

Tucked the relays onto the inner wing next to the battery

SDC10438.jpg

Lights on!!

Even in daylight can already see the difference just looking at them

SDC10439.jpg

Can highly recommend this upgrade for any rado owner and owner of an older VW, makes such a difference to driving in the dark :D

Rear Axle Swap:

First up, strip my spare axle

SDC10304.jpg

SDC10308.jpg

SDC10317.jpg

Stripping:

SDC10320.jpg

SDC10327.jpg

SDC10379.jpg

SDC10324.jpg

De-rusted:

SDC10393.jpg

SDC10394.jpg

SDC10395.jpg

Did nitromors the whole thing back to bare metal but forgot to take any pics so here's a couple of it painted with POR-15 chassis paint:

SDC10425.jpg

SDC10426.jpg

making up refurbed beam, with new bushes, pressure reg, spring, hoses and brake lines

SDC10446.jpg

SDC10444.jpg

SDC10447.jpg

SDC10448.jpg

SDC10462.jpg

Load of new bits and bobs:

SDC10463.jpg

Things were a little tight at the back of the garage so took the rear bumper off to make it a bit easier:

SDC10451.jpg

Stripping the old axle off:

SDC10450.jpg

SDC10453.jpg

SDC10455.jpg

SDC10454.jpg

SDC10456.jpg

SDC10457.jpg

SDC10458.jpg

And finally axle off :D

SDC10459.jpg

SDC10461.jpg

Replacemnt beam fitted:

SDC10469.jpg

SDC10465.jpg

SDC10464.jpg

Wish i'd had time to paint the stub axles as well, oh well next time i have to change the bearing will do em

SDC10470.jpg

Carriers and calipers drying, shortly after i decided the house would be warmer so ended up with em on the dinning table :lol:

SDC10484.jpg

SDC10483.jpg

All fitted up :D

SDC10487.jpg

SDC10486.jpg

New brakelines and braided hoses fitted up front

SDC10491.jpg

SDC10494.jpg

SDC10493.jpg

SDC10488.jpg

And new Master cylinder,

SDC10492.jpg

Heater blower has now packed up :roll: so that'll be next job on the list along with new fuel filter, derust and paint rear bumper iron and petrol tank straps plus any other little bits of rust i find (I HATE Rust, if u hadn't noticed by now, lol :lol: ) and that should be the rear end done for now so will be moving onto the front, its never ending :lol:

Cheers

great work, am actually collecting all parts for a rear beam rebuild and mk4 calipers myself, handy having those pics!

cool cheers, yeah in hindsight i shoulda just got some mk4 calipers as i ended up having to get a new rear caliper anyway but didn't find out i needed a new one until it was all back together and failed MOT :roll: Next time they go will change em. Good luck with urs glad the pics will be of some use. U goin for standard bushes or uprated?

only have the calipers, discs, pads, bearing kit, shields, hoses and fixings at minute, but yeh hoping to go for uprated bushes and a rear anti roll bar too

Nice work and great pics!

Cheers dude :thumb right:

only have the calipers, discs, pads, bearing kit, shields, hoses and fixings at minute, but yeh hoping to go for uprated bushes and a rear anti roll bar too

Cool, The upradted bushes are sposed to be a lot easier to put in, the standard ones were a bit of an arse, Yeah gotta get a rear ARB for mine at some point, didn't have the cash for it when i did the swap. Are u gonna refurb ur rear axle? only ask as the bolts that hold the pressure reg on can be a right pain in the ass, as they tend to seize solid think its coz they're steel bolts in alloy i believe, might be worth gettin some new ones incase u have to drill em out,

yeh just looking for a second hand one at the minute, and will strip and re-assemble it, I'll get ALL the fixings now - so cheers for the heads up - am hoping I can get away with keeping the stub axles, have new bolts and washers for that though

not totally sold on uprated bushes yet, read on here some people prefer the predictable back end with standards :D

Yeah thats why i went for the standard rear bushes in the end to keep the passive rear steering or whatever u wanna call it where the beam twist slightly when cornerin

Nice work. I've just done the same myself but with a little help from D&G Auto :lol:

yeh just looking for a second hand one at the minute, and will strip and re-assemble it, I'll get ALL the fixings now - so cheers for the heads up - am hoping I can get away with keeping the stub axles, have new bolts and washers for that though

If you source another axle be careful with some of the fixings if you get new abs sensor guides and brakeline clips etc as there are two different fittings.

One is an extra long 'post' which the fixings just push right down onto and others are a 'mushroom' type pin that you push the fixing onto then slide across to clip in place. (see my members gallery, last updated 19 Dec, for a pic of what I mean)

Cool, Was that on the 8v or vr6 Judith?

Didn't know about the fixin for the abs guides etc, they were the same on both my axles, guess i just lucked out,

Another thing to mention when refitting the lower strut bolts, fit loosely then lower car to ground before tightening them, otherwise they creak and crash. If u get stuck woth anything aide just give us a shout

ok cheers guys/ gals, will keep the clips and tightening in mind.... won't be lying on the ground anytime soon though! brrrrrrrhhh cold :sad:

uv bin busy then bud lookin gud see you got up rated loom from kur2y aswell ,mines on the way soon keep up gud work mate :salute:

cheers mate :thumb right:

Yeah loom from kur2y was definately worth it, ones of the best mods i've done to any of my dubs :D

Look forward to seein yours back together 8)

gud to here look forward to seein where im goin in the near future the results from other thread look impressive the difference was amazing :)

Cool, Was that on the 8v or vr6 Judith?

Oh the vr.... 8v is kept in working order but I don't spend money tarting it up over and above what's required.

u got the loom to see better?? I just got em so i could join everyone in blindin the car infront :lol: felt left out :D

nice to here yours comin along bud i know what you mean bout funds !!, we will all get there in the end mate :)