Sign in to follow this  
Furno

Rubber or Poly bushes?

Hi,

Just bought my first ever VW (Corrado VR6 Storm) which I'm highly delighted with. However, it does feel a tiny bit noisey/rattley over the bumps. Its completely standard. I will be having a more detailed look at the suspension and bushes to see what they're like, but I just wondered what the view is with powerflex bushes. I've heard some people say they're too hard and you should stick with rubber. What do people think?

I've seen plenty of places advertising powerflex bushes, but can you still get the rubber ones anywhere - VW possibly????

Thanks.

Steve

you can get all the VW bushings new front and rear, the standard ones from VW will greatly improve tired old parts, some like the wishbone rear bush take quite a hammering on the VR especially and some people have replaced them with TT or R32 parts I think, heavier duty but not poly.

If you do put poly ones on they will transmit more noise and vibration.

rear axle bushes are probably best left as new OEM parts, particularly as they give some correction of wheel toe when cornering, you'll lose this totally with the poly replacements.

front bush on the wishbone and steering rack mounts aren't really of any benefit as poly, front anti-roll bar mounts and drop links may sharpen things a small amount, but again you'll get a bit more noise and vibration, don't think the front cross member ruber mounts will benefit at all from being replaced with poly.

have a good search on the forum and search Club GTI forums too.

This gets raised often. My opinion is that poly bushes are a waste of time. They’re less comfortable and wear our quicker despite their lifetime claims. I’d always stick to OE

OE.. and VAG at that.. the ones on the car have done at least 12 years good service...

Poly's only really useful on circuits anyway!

had my corrado vr6 for 1 month now, however havent driven it due to insurance.....until this saturday :D

i too was lookin into these poly bushes, i had them on my old mini i used to have, but that was a mini, n to be honest the rubber 1s wore out about once a year.

i inspected my vr n the rear passenger axle bush is in need of replacement, has a knocking when going over fairly bumpy roads but also can see it quite clearly shot!

i brought some bushes from GSF yesterday, rubber 1s, as if the ones in there now have only failed after 15 years il give the rubber 1s another go for a while. fairly cheap as well.

the poly 1s will affect the handleing i would imagine, however the are easier to fit, i personally want to sample the corrado in standard form first,

however i have a problem with the passenger side 1 as it looks to be the hardest 1 to fit as all my brake pipes are corroded and they run along that side, and the bias valve as well. oh well its all fun

but id stick with rubber, that way you can compare the difference and have your own opinion on the powerflex or poly bushes if or when u decided to fit them

casual :wave:

i brought some bushes from GSF yesterday, rubber 1s, as if the ones in there now have only failed after 15 years il give the rubber 1s another go for a while. fairly cheap as well.

Casual, sorry to Pee on your bonfire...

If I were you, take em back, get a refund then go to your local happy VAG dealer and buy Genuine... unless you want to do rears again in a couple years time... GSF & ECP ones are (generally) made of toffee why they are cheap! Have a look on suspension thread, GSF/ECP topmounts are known to only last a year, if that, have heard of them failing in 3000 miles!

Pay cheap, fix twice...

I recently renewed mine, on the wishbones I went std inner and audi TT outer. on the rear beam I went powerflex (this is the only place I personally considered polys, VAG everywhere else). I think the setup is excellent, to me there is no noticed increase in noise/vibration and if pushedthe poly rears induce lift off oversteer 8) which, is a matter of driving tastes (and you probably shouldn't be driving like that away from the circuit :nono: ). Polys are easier to fit too in the rear beam, and be prepared to replace some copper brake lines too while doing the job. I do a lot of miles so if the Polys wear quick I'll know soon enough, but it'll be fun getting there :D

Casual, sorry to Pee on your bonfire...

If I were you, take em back, get a refund then go to your local happy VAG dealer and buy Genuine... unless you want to do rears again in a couple years time... GSF & ECP ones are (generally) made of toffee why they are cheap! Have a look on suspension thread, GSF/ECP topmounts are known to only last a year, if that, have heard of them failing in 3000 miles!

Pay cheap, fix twice...

u have put my bonfire out :lol:

yeah i understand what ur sayin, i cant say i drive the car hard, 100 mile a day motorway cruising. well because i brought the car from a specalists they put 3 months warrenty on the car so, im down there wknd getting them sorted. im sure they'll only use the cheapest anyway. saves me a job for now tho.

i want to do all the brakes anyway. is that the only way to change them? discounneted the lines from the Pressure valve at the back n drop the axle down complete?

still think id try the cheap 1s first tho, as i say, i can then make up my own mind.

cheers tho

Genuine rubber bushes and from VW only. Don't do poly unless you like increasing the firmness of your ride without any tangible benefits.. and don't buy them from GSF/ECP unless you're certain they're OE parts! :)

as they give some correction of wheel toe when cornering

How do they do that then? :scratch:

The bush is allowed to move sideways across the car, the wheel attitude doesn't change.

I understood the sliding rear beam to enable the rear of the car to shift its weight sideways to the outside of a corner counteracting the fwd understeer. When you replace the sliding bushes with poly ones you remove this ability gaining predictability and grip but also lose the balanced feel of the car.

Deffo VAG only - especially on a Storm!

GSF / ECP / Febi etc don't last at all on Corrado's and I wouldn't even consider poly!!