Sign in to follow this  
Thom

Oil filter housing/Cooler gasket 2L 16v

Hello,

can anyone tell me how to change the gasket between the oil filter housing and the oil pressure senders, I have oil seeping from where the 2 meet. Is it a case of removing the filter and unscrewing the housing?

ideally you need a narrow hex bit (4 or 5mm?) to get at the allen head bolts that hold it on, you may need to remove the filter to get at them all but I don't think so.

Make sure the hex heads are clean and you use a proper hex bit, not just an allen key, becasue if you round the hex's off they'll be a real PITA.

do you mean between the oil cooler and the bracket that bolts to the block?

for that you have to take the oil filter off which reveals a thin 24mm (?) nut on a threaded tube. undo the nut and the oil cooler can be slid off the end, youll probably have to take the coolant hoses off too. the gasket is a fat rubber o-ring with "ears" that slot into the oil cooler.

mine is doing the same, need to change it when i do the next oil change . . . mmmmmm messyness

Thanks for the help guys :) , I'm going to get it done tomorrow, can anyone tell me the exact size of the nut holding the cooler on, just that I want to buy the right tool for the job first time (not something I'm known for)

Ta

Done it now, was a surprisingly easy job. Just in case anyone needs to know and doesn't, the nut is 27mm

Done it now, was a surprisingly easy job. Just in case anyone needs to know and doesn't, the nut is 27mm

:) all I could remember was using an adjustable spanner

:) all I could remember was using an adjustable spanner

Think we must be talking about a different part, this was a nut under the filter, I could only get to it with a socket :)

yeah, the thin one that holds the heat exchanger in place, definitely did it with a spanner, might have been a random angle bodge of an approach though :lol: