Sign in to follow this  
ToyB

Soundproofing with minimum added weight

A bit of advice please on soundproofing my car. I want to upgrade my stereo and speakers and have been told that I need to add soundproofing. But I bought the corrado for its drivablility and dont want to keep adding weight. What do people suggest would be a good compromise or where would be the best places in the car to start (ie doors), working back to "could be done but much less of an impact" Thanks in advance :grin:

a bit of b'rown bread' or 'dynamat 'in the doors makes a whole lot of difference noise wise and is only going to add a kilo or so to the cars weight, if you're really worried I did buy some stuff once that was a lightweight plastic sound deadener, can't remember the name, it was OK but not quite the performance of the heftier dynamat type stuff.

Foam filler is apparently the way forward and no it's not an April fools joke!!

I've used expanding foam once, not on the car thank god, but the house, I'll never touch the stuff again, took me a week to get the stuff off me :lol:

I've used expanding foam once, not on the car thank god, but the house, I'll never touch the stuff again, took me a week to get the stuff off me :lol:

Thats the stuff which you spray on and it expands, yep? Hmmmm I would probably end up expander-foaming my windows shut, but it is certainly worth considering. What have other people used? have people soundproofed the roofing or is it mainly the doors and whatever the rear passengers equivalent of doors is called.

This has just become a bit academic now as I am currently removing bits of mondeo out the back of my car after it shunted me hard on the M25 and wrote my car off, but I plan to get it back off the insurance and back on the road, so would still be grateful for the advice.

depends if you want to reduce road noise or improve teh sound quality of your ICE. Road noise - damplifier etc wont do that much. they just prevent eh panels from resonating. saying that, once you do put some on teh doors you definitely hear an improvement in sound quality, even from standard speakers. Road noise - well you need some open and closed cell foam like neoprene (closed cell) and a nitrile/PU foam (open cell). Cheapest option is the polyester loft insulation from B&Q in the voids, covered with a layer of closed cell foam around the door card openings. Cheapest optio here are camping mats from Tesco, they're about a fiver each and you can do the two rear panels with one.

You can also shove a load of loft insualtion in between the roof liner and the roof. Its quite light too.

...You can also shove a load of loft insualtion in between the roof liner and the roof. Its quite light too.

is that eligible for a government grant? or do you have to be over 60?

You can also shove a load of loft insualtion in between the roof liner and the roof. Its quite light too.

the C gets hot enough in the summer without the need for insulation...must be a sweatbox in there!

i would not put expanding foam anywhere in my car :lol:

unless i was turning it into a boat, like top gear :cuckoo:

the C gets hot enough in the summer without the need for insulation...must be a sweatbox in there!

No probs with aircon :norty:

No probs with aircon :norty:

curse-you.jpg

depends if you want to reduce road noise or improve teh sound quality of your ICE. Road noise - damplifier etc wont do that much. they just prevent eh panels from resonating. saying that, once you do put some on teh doors you definitely hear an improvement in sound quality, even from standard speakers. Road noise - well you need some open and closed cell foam like neoprene (closed cell) and a nitrile/PU foam (open cell). Cheapest option is the polyester loft insulation from B&Q in the voids, covered with a layer of closed cell foam around the door card openings. Cheapest optio here are camping mats from Tesco, they're about a fiver each and you can do the two rear panels with one.

Thank you for that although I did have to go to Wikipedia to understand closed cell and open cell :dorky: