Sign in to follow this  
rixy

throttle cable sticking/ any ideas?

hi peeps, just got my G60 running properly, and got the gearbox changed to one with 5complete gears instead of 3, lol.

Anywayz.,...now its running and driving, ive noticed the throttle cable sticking and pedal sticking down.

Basically, it sticks and holds revs at about 2.5 to 3k, meaning when u get off accelerator, its still trying to pull, and only way to stop it is lift pedal up with ya foot. Which is a right pain!!

Anyhooo, if u turn the ignition off, and push the pedal down, its comes up but only to a certain point. however, if u lift the pedal, it kind of jolts (clicks if u like) and comes the rest of the way. Its as if either the cable end, or the topof the pedal pivot is catching on something.

Do the bushes etc on the pedal boxes wear?or is this likely to be cable orientated?

Any ideas? If not, i'll be pullin bottom under trays out, and having a butchers next week some time :-)

I had similar to this with my 16v and it turned out to be the throttle cable was frayed where it enters the bulk head. So when you pressed the pedal the cable fed through ok , but on return it caught. Easy enough to check and easy enough to replace though.

jubilee clip holding the hose onto the intake manifold? I can't remember quite how we did it, but i think it was the worm drive pushing against the throttle cable/throttle body. We just moved it away and no problems

I had similar to this with my 16v and it turned out to be the throttle cable was frayed where it enters the bulk head. So when you pressed the pedal the cable fed through ok , but on return it caught. Easy enough to check and easy enough to replace though.

this is indeed exactly what the problem was :-) new cable ordered today if i get time, then she'll be fine :-)

mine is doing exactly the same, where did it fray to? and have you got a part no. id like to order one.

a basic how to would be nice, Please as its taking the fun out of driving

urm...from what i remember, it frays inside the outer sheth, and you cant see its frayed....basically unclip it from throttle body, get under dash, and unclip it from pedal, and remove the complete cable from through bulkhead towards engine side....

refitting is reverse of removal....

as for part number, just go to vw, they'll know what your after, same cable as most mk2's and mk3's i think anyway??

It's pretty easy to change though ensure that as well as the throttle cable, you also get the little rubber bung which the cable hooks into in the back of the accelerator pedal... by now it'll be 16 or so years old and likely rather perished! You can just remove the old one, and push the new one in to the back of the pedal though you'll need to lube it with a dab of washing up liquid or something as it's a VERY snug fit.

The throttle cable comes out the bulkhead around / under the wiper motor I *think*. Unhook it from the pedal end, then it runs up and through a rubber grommit which you remove in its entirity and then unhook from the throttle body. Then just refit. One of the only bits of work I did myself on my old G60 and it only took me 10 minutes if that :)

i have a brand new rubber bung that the thrortle cable goes through, to seal anywater from entering ect,

2.00 posted if any one wants it! :D

hi just replaced mine a few months ago if its for a g60 pg engine the part numbers are A191 721 559 for the bush and A536 721 555 for the cable hope this helps there is a post on ere saying cables are in short supply so would be good to no how you get on with obtaining one :salute:

i have taken those numbers off the invoice from the stealers mate and that is my second cable change and the numbers are the same on both invoices will check for numbers on cable and bush tomorrow should still be visible :salute: