Sign in to follow this  
rixy

VR6 Running Very Cool....

hi people, Just recently i have noticed the temp guage in my VR6 reading under 70deg when crusing, and not the 90 deg every1 says it should read? Does this mean my thermostat is stuck open, or does my engine just cool itself very efficiently.

Im sure it had a new thermostat from VW when i fully rebuilt the engine 2 years ago, but cant remember, and cant find reciept to prove.

What else could it be, if not the thermostat??

When sat in traffic etc, it rises to above 90, but then fans kick in etc....and it cools down again

Could also be a dodgy sensor. If you've got VAG COM, you can check the ECU temp sensor against the dash one.

While you're changing the thermostat, you might want to look at a new thermostat housing too.

You don't want the engine running that cool. It will probably run on the cold starting map if the coolant is below 70 degrees, which causes the engine to run rich. This decreases fuel economy, and damages your engine in the long term.

ok, cheers for the replies....as soon as i can get the G60 sold, and buy the woman a car......then it'll be off the road for a bit, for paint, interior freshen up and a few stainless noisy bits :-) so i'll have a look then.

that might also explain why its only bene struggling to get to around 28mpg with the missus driving it then. As before the rebuild it used to get around 34 to 35 with her driving!!

cheers again peeps