Sign in to follow this  
rixy

G60 Temp Guage not working.....Then Bubbling over

Hi, i have had my G60 project running earlier, for about half an hour, and noticed the temp guage was not working.......what could cause this.....?

Also, the lid was off the header tank, and after a while, the fans kicked in, and the water started bubbling over the sides of the tank.......is this normal, and would not happen if the lid was on?? Or does it mean water pump is playing up??

It has had a new water pump etc about 5 months ago, and its deffo not head gasket etc, as that was all brand new, rebuilt and replaced not long before the pump.

Any ideas, or am i worrying over nothing?

Temp sensor either US or not plugged in?

Bubbling over with cap off is normal, as temp rises water expands, cap presurizes system... someone with some tech knowledge will be along soon to explain the Physics side I'm sure!

is the temp sensor, the one on the top water flange in front of the blue switch??

It will bubble if the coolant reaches boiling point when the cap is off. The cap is designed to hold pressure because pressurizing the cooling system results in the coolant boiling at a higher temperature.

Sounds like your black temperature sender has had it, not expensive from VW. Don't buy from anywhere else, make sure its a genuine VW part.

cool,i'll give thema call tomorrow,and order one along with a throttle cable :-)

right then, so i ve changed the temp sensor switch on the coolant flange, and it still doesnt work? any other ideas??

Check that the brown earth cable on the black sensor is not broken

Quickest way is to use a multimeter to check that you have continuity between the negative bat terminal and the negative pin on the sender harness.

I have also had a burnt out coolant guage b4 but this isn't very common.

Not heard of anyone else have that prob.

cool...we'll i'll checkit tomrrow morning, if i've got it back by then, as i've just dropped it off for its mot. :help:

cheers again matey.

poo!!! tried the earth wire, and there is perfect continuity between that and the earth terminal, and any other part of the chassis! Also, it doesnt even break continuity if u wobble the wires etc.?

Any other ideas??

poo!!! tried the earth wire, and there is perfect continuity between that and the earth terminal, and any other part of the chassis! Also, it doesnt even break continuity if u wobble the wires etc.?

Any other ideas??

then it is either the signal wire to the guage or the guage itself.

You fuel guage is working ok i take it?

yup, fuel guage is working fine. no problems with that at all. I spoke to ym mate earlier (whom i bought the car from) and he said the temp guage has not worked for ages!!! i bloody hate people who dont fix things, lol!!

How can i test wiring / guage itself?? does the guage read resistance? is there any way of sending some power down the loom to see if the needle moves??