Sign in to follow this  
garrett

Alpine White Valver

Cheers Kip, glad to see the wheels are coming along.

It IS the head.

Oh &*^$£%^%&$"£""!"$$%%$£££$%%

Holding back the tears(!) and trying to negotiate a sale to a mechanic mate of mine so he can fix it up in his own time. Currently, I can't be without a car, so I have to buy another ASAP. I do have the use of a Citroen C1, but I'd rather [strike:1w4tss80]walk[/strike:1w4tss80] kill myself

Changing a headgasekt is not too much hassle and you can get a complete kit with all the gaskets for under £40 from here

You will need some new stretch bolts too here, 12 of those so all in parts will cost you under £80 delivered.

Its not a massive task to change the head gasket, its in the mk 2 golf haynes manual, get yourself down halfords and have a look at it.

Leigh, two in a week and only 20 miles apart! :(

If you want I can come over when mine's done and I'm back from holiday, give you a hand?

I'd have done mine myself but I don't have time and as it's my only car...

As Yan said bits are cheap it's just the time if you are paying.... or would your mechanic mate help you out at a discounted rate?

You can't sell it just because of the head gasket!!They go on each car at some point and every 20-30,000 miles on fiats!! :D Get it changed and keep it!!! :)

Thanks for the support guys.

Looks like I will take it off the road for a little while and get some other things sorted at the same time. Can't bring myself to sell it!

Jon - can we talk about maybe doing this ourselves? Let me know when you're back. You still have my mobile number? I'd really appriciate the help.

I'll keep you updated...

Oh man gutted for you! As Yan says though matey it is a dooable task for not a huge outlay and if deviant comes to help you too it'll makes the job actually pleasurable as you will gain from the experiance and probably have a good old laugh while you do it.

Good luck and dont worry :wink:

Leigh, have PM'd you my number and also copied you in about a very good low miles KR locally (OK Kent) to you...

Thanks again guys.

Bitten the bullet...

Because I just can't do without a car at the moment it's booked in to be done on Tuesday with a view to getting it back on Friday. So that's Citroen C1 love for me this week, pics to follow! Shame I don't have a spare All Star sticker to put on it!

I know it's not the most ecomonical way to do it, but need wheels and love driving the Corrado.

I'll post a pic of the bill on Friday!!!!

So, all sorted. Dropping the 'Rado off tomorrow night, will collect on the way home from work Friday. Also having the fan and power steering belts done.

Laid Up:

IMG00167.jpg

The beast:

IMG00168.jpg

Race to see who's done first and who has the biggest bill Leigh?

:lol:

You're on. Wanna make it interesting? Pound bet?!!!

Race to see who's done first and who has the biggest bill Leigh?

:lol:

You're on. Wanna make it interesting? Pound bet?!!!

Yeah but we may not have a pound between us once it's all done! :lol: :lol:

Just got a call from my mate who's working on the car.

Says the oil cooler was "rusted to f**k" and there was a leak from one of the pipes. Doesn't explain the mayo on the dipstick though...

The car has been running for 20 minutes and no change to water. I drove it for 10 minutes last night then stopped and I had lost water.

The plot thickens...

your oil cooler is cooled by water mate, so a rusted cooler means the water is likely leaking at that point - mayo on the dipstick is a sure sign :D they're cheap tho and a plenty 2nd hand, i have one in the garage of a 2ltr if you need

nice wheels btw 8)

Thanks Aide, the car has now been fixed using a 2nd hand cooler and will be back in my possession tonight.

Also had:

New expansion tank

Lid

Oil change

Filter

Fan belt

PAS belt

Rad flush

Premium coolant (the red/pink stuff!)

Can't wait! Hate that Citroen!

that lot should do you good for a while, gives some peace of mind too.

really getting tempted by a white rados now

Thanks Aide, the car has now been fixed using a 2nd hand cooler and will be back in my possession tonight.

Looks liek you'll beat me then... I doubt I'll see it before 9th June at this Rate! :bad-words:

Got it back last night. Drives like a dream. No more squeaking from the belts, no more water loss.

Final cost was £180. So not too bad. Needs to be taxed next week though and I am heading over my agreed mileage so more cost there too! Tyres needed soon too...

My mate who was working on the car was amazed at how much attention it gets out on the road.

Jon - I am afraid I owe a quid!!!!

Yeah you do!

Hope to get mine back this lunch and see how big a bill that gets :(

I'll try and find a nice new one for you!

It'll be good to the car back before you go away. Thing is at the end of the day, I thought I'd sell mine or take it off the road. But I like the car so much I just bit the bullet and was prepared to pay the potentially huge bill. For the money, nothing really comes close to a Corrado if you ask me.