Sign in to follow this  
pete_griff

VERY IMPORTANT - ALL 24V CONVERSIONS PLEASE READ!

if you're doing the conversion and keeping the VR flywheel/clutch/gearbox as most people seem to do, listen up - this is important.

my car developed a very nasty rattle a couple of days ago that i originally pinned on the gearbox.

it turns out that it was in fact THE FLYWHEEL RATTLING!!! :shock:

i used the R32 bolts to hold the flywheel on - DON'T! make sure you use the VR flywheel bolts.

the heads of the R32 bolts are much smaller than those of the VR bolts (see attached pic below). they not only won't hold the flywheel as securely as the VR bolts with the larger heads, but there is a fraction of a difference in the play in the holes in the flywheel as well (the R32 bolts have more play than the VR items).

the fact that mine was rattling could be down to a number of issues - my flywheel is an ally item, so is obviously softer than the original VR steel jobbie, and with the smaller headed R32 bolts, they would have "squished" into it more easily. also i think that my torque wrench is now telling me lies as this is the second incident like this where things have been set to a certain torque and turned out not to be good enough.

if you've got the original steel flywheel then hopefully you shouldn't suffer this; either way, i would still use the VR bolts...

so from this it seems that the gearbox place is not to blame for my current woes! apologies for slandering their name so badly. (i'm actually going to ring the guy shortly and apologise to him personally.)

edit - apologies for the terrible pic - going to see if i can get a better one on my phone/camera tomorrow. hopefully you should still get the idea from this though...