Sign in to follow this  
bttucks

tinny sound from engine area

hi i have a corrado g60 and at the moment i have tinny sound when on full throttle is then it is most hear sounds like a bolt rattling but can not find any thing loose just wondered if any one have any ideas or have had this happen to them, any help would be great ,thanks

hi know this sounds silly but i had a rattleing noise like u described and it was the bearing in the altinator. i just replaced it and now theres no noise.

It's difficult to say without hearing it but sounds like pinking. Happened to me and I was sure I had something loose for a few months because I'd never heard pinking before!

Check your engine timing, (mine was too far advanced). Quick job in a garage for a tenner or so. If that's OK then might be injectors, fuel pump etc. or just needs super unleaded as mentioned above.

As above, could well be pinking now as weather is getting hotter!

Worth trying some 100RON fuel or maybe retarding the timing slightly by turning the distributer clockwise (make sure you mark the original position first)

thanks is not from exhaust or any heat shelds ,will try checking the timing first does any one know the timing light setting for 92 g60 ?

if it's pinking then it will be worst under heavy load, so find a slight upwards gradient, drive about 30mph in top or 4th gear and put your foot to the floor, if it disappears when you start to release the throttle, it's definitely pinking.

Don't worry about it too much alot of cars pink under certain conditions. The G60 engine has knock detection to retard timing and bleed boost, knock is a more severe form of pinking. I couldn't run 95 ron fuel without suffering knock with my old engine and off the shelf chip but it does ok now with a custom chip but I still run 98 ron shell fuel. Just changing driving style slightly can eliminate it. But yes check your timing and fuel pressure as the G60 pumps are getting old and weak now so worth checking but if your not mechanically minded you may want to get it done professionally.