Sign in to follow this  
awigman

Quick Question... iso lead

I am just trying to fit a new sony headunit in the car. The wires coming from my car, are they meant to fit straight into the connectors from my stereo or does it have to have an iso lead in-between them. The connectors fit but i have no power to the headunit which makes me think i need an iso cable.

Thanks in advance!

When i fitted my sony HU, i had to buy a ISO adaptor which allowed the 2 ISO blocks in the car to be plugged in. Then these lead to the one block which went into the back of the HU. Halfords sell the adaptors.

The headunit came with a loom. One end that plugs straight into back of headunit and the other end is two connectors. These two connectors fit straight into the the two connectors coming from the car, but when i connect them there is a flash of light from the display and thats it. Its like there isnt enough power going to it which makes me think i maybe need an iso connected inbetween them?! :shrug:

The loom that came with the unit is an ISO lead, as are the 2 coming from the car. ISO just means the standard fitting. (someone correct me if im wrong).

Have you tried to see if it works with the ignition on? Does the loom that came with the stereo have a red and yellow wire that are interchangeable somewhere along their lengths? If so try swapping them or connecting them both to the same feed coming from the car. One is a constant live and the other a switched live that comes from the ignition barrel. Both need to be live for the stereo to work.

Bit confusing but hope it helps.

P.S. In some older cars they are the opposite way around.

Kunaal

The headunit came with a loom. One end that plugs straight into back of headunit and the other end is two connectors. These two connectors fit straight into the the two connectors coming from the car, but when i connect them there is a flash of light from the display and thats it. Its like there isnt enough power going to it which makes me think i maybe need an iso connected inbetween them?! :shrug:

Ah sorry i misunderstood what you meant. Is that with the ignition on or off? Are the constant and switched power cables the correct way round. (red and yellow wires)

EDIT - as above

The loom that came with the unit is an ISO lead, as are the 2 coming from the car. ISO just means the standard fitting. (someone correct me if im wrong).

Have you tried to see if it works with the ignition on? Does the loom that came with the stereo have a red and yellow wire that are interchangeable somewhere along their lengths? If so try swapping them or connecting them both to the same feed coming from the car. One is a constant live and the other a switched live that comes from the ignition barrel. Both need to be live for the stereo to work.

Bit confusing but hope it helps.

P.S. In some older cars they are the opposite way around.

Kunaal

Thanks for the above.... the stereo now works. I connected both red and yellow to the same feed. Although now none of the station presets save!

No didnt try swapping them because the yellow wire from the HU wasnt getting any feed from the car, it was going into a blank connection in the plug (if you get what i mean)

You have them both running to the ignition feed, so all presets will be lost when the ignition is turned off. You need them both to run to the live feed, this means the stereo can be on without the ignition being on, or one to the live and one to the ignition to have the stereo to only come on when the ignition is on (cant remember which one is which). You may need to do a little re-jigging of the wires in the ISO plug, so that the live from the car goes to the same point as the live that the stereo requires. ( some old vw's have the live run to a different point in the plug as modern standards)

Hope this helps, you might need a tester or a wiring diagram to help. (but the chances are you can find the thickest wire in the back of the plug that doesnt line up with anything in the sony plug and that will be your live!)

Kunaal