Sign in to follow this  
IrishG60

Speed sensor advice please

Speedomoeter was acting erratic... juming up and down... and now it's not working at all... stuck on zero...

Do I need to replace the speed sensor... and where is it?

Diagram would realy help... have MOT in two weeks time... so really need to get this fixed...can anyone help?

Speed sensor is on the gearbox, there are only 2 plugs on the gearbox and the one on the gearshift tower is for the reversing light.

If you put the MFA in diagnostic mode 2(do a search or its in the Bentley) and check to see if you have a speed pulse signal coming into the clocks. If there is then the speedo/clock unit is busted.

Another way to check is to see if your spoiler goes up, if your spoiler is still working then the clocks are fubar as the speed signal used for the spoiler is generated by the gearbox sensor.

No spoiler has stopped going up... speedometer worked for about 30 mins yesterday and spoiler etc worked fine... then went kaput again and spoiler stopped working...

so that would mean a likely speed sensor then?....

No spoiler has stopped going up... speedometer worked for about 30 mins yesterday and spoiler etc worked fine... then went kaput again and spoiler stopped working...

so that would mean a likely speed sensor then?....

Yeah, thats the easiest and cheapest thing to change, although have a look at the wiring running to the sensor before you order a new one.

Thanks Yandards!!!

One last thing... can you illustrate exactly what I'm looking for?... where is the sensor? / wiring?

Thanks Yandards!!!

One last thing... can you illustrate exactly what I'm looking for?... where is the sensor? / wiring?

Its really easy to spot, just look at the top of the gearbox towards the back of the engine bay, they is a 3 pin plug that is attached to a right angled connector coming out of the gearbox. Like I said before, there are only 2 things plugged into the gearbox, you want the one that is not attached to the gearshift tower.