Sign in to follow this  
Dave.Warlord

Cracked Piston

Hi guys. I'm back again with more problems. You know how it is you fix one and another is round the corner.

G60 developed a slight misfire on friday night. Checked the plugs and all checked out.

Compression test later revealed only 45psi in the 4th chamber. Wet test gave me 120psi.

Rings I thought... which seemed odd as I did the rings 2 months ago and have only just run it in.

Stripped it down and......yes you guessed it..

DSCF2196.jpg

DSCF2194.jpg

Not good.

Any idea where I can get a piston from anyone?

Dunno what caused it as I aint really deathed my motor since the rings were done... a bit of fun but not exactly been bouncing on the limiter.

A fueling problem perhaps??

Not sure I can help with whether that's a good price or not, but hell that's some damage. Sticky rings causing eccentric loading (just a guess mind).

Good luck,

Tom

Couldn't find any cheaper. These were the only second hand ones I could find. VW wanted £170 each :lol:

When I get them I'm usure whether to just change the one or all four.

When its back together though think I'm gonna get the injectors and the timing advance checked. If for nothing else for my own peace of mind. If it was running lean wouldn't it get really hot and that could cause the piston to crack? But common sense tells me if this is case that the piston wouldn't look as clean as it does and the bore is mint.

I just dont wanna be having the same problem again as I dunno whats caused it. Unless its just one of those things :confused4:

As said above rings were my first thought but I dunno if the middle ring thats broken in two was the cause of problem or was a result of it. I'm not a mechanic and don't profess to be one. I just like to av a go