Sign in to follow this  
Josh Waddi

What engines will fit a early C

HI People

ive got some pennies saving at the moment and its definaly going on a conversion, im currently running the 1.8 16V and i know the VR6 and the 1.8T can be put in my C but what else?

ive found a Audi RS4 engine for sale and a Skoda VRS but im unsure if these are appliacble? also any other ideas of what will fit will be appriciated.

Thanks

anything will fit, it just depends how far your wanting to go and how much money your wanting to spend.

People tend to fit the 1.8t and 4motion/R32 24v engines for a reason.

It depends a lot on what you want from the engine as well.

Have a look down the list of sticky threads in the Engine forum but basically anything will fit with enough time and money!

if you want the sense of achievement then do/pay for a conversion yourself.

but I've seen some great looking V6 24v and 1.8T conversions going very cheap recently, pick a well done one and it could save you a packet over doing the job from scratch.

So i presume the 1.8T and the R32 are the easiest to do or its it done based on performance? i presumed there was a limit to wich engines go in and which dont. i would be changing the clutch and gearbox when the conversion takes place. so what would be a good engine to put in there, im not massively bothered about performace as it wouldnt be going on a track be being "ragged" everywhere i went. i would like something with a decent amount of power which wouldnt rape my wallet at the pumps. the 1.8T keeps coming into my mind but i feel this is too common?? any ideas anyone??

Weve just finished an ABF conversion, you get quite a bit more power for about the same weight as what you have already. Thing is after finishing it off (ish, these things are never finished, always somin to tweak) you notice theres not much more space left!! it left 5-10mm before hitting the bonnet and close as you like to the suspension strut.

So thats where the money part comes in, because you would then need to buy/make new mounts, maybe cut into the firewall if you go bigger, so then relocate/more buying, brake lines, abs pump, steering rack, brake master cylinder, exhaust and goes on with stuff we always forget.

What ever way you go i really recommend doing it yourself, we know sooo much about the engine now and how it all works and the wiring. It really make you feel that the car is yours and REALLY belongs to you, and is custom to you. We stripped the whole engine down, bought all new parts and built it back up, and we have NEVER stripped an engine down before!! Suck a good felling when it all goes back together and runs smooth as you like.

Personally i would get a decent engine, erm... say the ABF :clap: . And bolt on a nice turbo and tune it all up, and the car you have left will be awsome!

Oh if you get the abf get it with the car still attached, your need the bits.

Best of luck on your project/wallet

If i was going to convert mine the money would go on the fsi lump its more responsive in the lower rev range and is still pretty new so would be different :)

I know a Corrado with V5 engine, and another with a TDi lump.

But if you're after something ambitious and different, not only will the 2.7 RS4 engine go in there but I believe you'll find that the 4.2 Audi V8 will also fit inside. I think I'm right in saying that the 4.2 also weighs less than an ABV does.

But for simplicity, power and cost you can't beat a 20v conversion. IF you want to do something "different" with a 4 pot then a tuned 16v with individual throttle bodies would be neat...

as already said really depends what you want, everyone seems to be swapping for the 1.8t or the 24v at the moment or charging their existing lumps, me i'm going old skool with an overbored high compression 16 valve screamer with some custom built parts :D not too pricey and keeping it standard ish

the choices are a plenty, so good luck whatever you do

as already said really depends what you want, everyone seems to be swapping for the 1.8t or the 24v at the moment or charging their existing lumps, me i'm going old skool with an overbored high compression 16 valve screamer with some custom built parts :D not too pricey and keeping it standard ish

the choices are a plenty, so good luck whatever you do

that does sound nice cams and even twin 40s proper old skool with the sound to match :D

aye carbs would be nice but am using kjet from another marque :cuckoo: but modifying the inlet shorter to stop it being a massive heatsoak, basically i don't want to fork out for the standalone :D

I know a Corrado with V5 engine, and another with a TDi lump.

But if you're after something ambitious and different, not only will the 2.7 RS4 engine go in there but I believe you'll find that the 4.2 Audi V8 will also fit inside. I think I'm right in saying that the 4.2 also weighs less than an ABV does.

But for simplicity, power and cost you can't beat a 20v conversion. IF you want to do something "different" with a 4 pot then a tuned 16v with individual throttle bodies would be neat...

i know of a engine for sale in a MK2 Golf which is the 16V with the indiviual throttle bodies, apperently runnng 220bhp and he has a printout to show it. also seen a RS4 4.2 engine but i think this monster is too much for me