Sign in to follow this  
Swompy

What Rado cant make up my mind.

I still say get the VR. If insurance allows .

Just do your homework and only buy if it has a decent history and the main problem areas have already been looked at. That way any bills should be reasonably small.

Another thing to bear in mind when listening to all us lot talk about running costs and expenditure is the standard of car each of us drive. I spent quite a bit on both my cars to begin with and personally I can’t tolerate much in the way of body or mechanical defects. An example was the lacquer peel on my wings and stone-chipped bonnet. Many people would have left it (the car’s 16 years old!) but as I’m a bit of a perfectionist I had to have it re-sprayed at considerable cost. Now I’m several hundred pounds down as a result where lots of other people would have left it and still enjoyed the car as much. A lot of the expenditure bar the obvious consumables is driven by how much you care about your car and how much of a ‘doer-upper’ you are.

you make a good point there neil.And at least i'm not the only one :lol: it's got even worse since i started sprayin paint at work, now i see all kinds of little defects in paint that i never would have before, i'm already thinkin of pulling this one of the road for a full strip down and respray n rebuild, n i've only had it just over a month and too most people the little defects would bother them. The rocker cover gasket change took me 3-4 hours just coz i had to clean all the bits i took off and the oil from the head that i could get too, mind u if i hadn't needed the car for a couple of days i would have polished up the cam cover and manifold :roll: :lol:

As for which c too get only u can decide, I chose a Vr over the others for a number of reason's, I wanted a later model as i prefer the looks, i wanted something that would be fast enough out the box to keep me from spending a load of money on tuning it up, i wanted something thats was tidy but not neccesarily mint as long as all the elctrics worked coz mechanics and bodywork i can do but electrics get on my tits.

Whatever u choose good luck in findin what u want and get some pics up when u do :)

If you're worried about insurance costs,petrol costs and maintenance costs it's not a Corrado you need.

You need a Ford Ka.

HAHA I never said I was worried. I was just wondering which one was the cheapest to run. :D

:) I still get huge kicks out of Corrado ownership but the reason I said what I did is that despite my enthusiasm it would be wrong to encourage someone to ignore the potential costs of ownership if they were considering buying one.

Cheesewire's comments were absolutely correct. The sticker-price of a Corrado may now be nice & affordable but the running costs - certainly for a VR6 - may well be something else depending on your circumstances. Insurance these days is actually not too bad compared with other performance cars, but there's no getting away from the fact that even late VR6s are now 13-14 years old with a 150mph potential. Any car with that level of performance must be kept in good mechanical order, and that is a commitment on an old car. Of course there are good ones & bad ones but they will all need some of you're love (and money) at some point.

Example : I had an unexpected bearing failure in my gearbox last October (unexpected because the 'box was rebuilt only 3 years ago). Cost me £780 to have it put right. It's a rare failure, but the fix cost is not unrepresentative of a VR6 bill when something goes wrong.

I don't want you to feel discouraged by this, just make sure you go into it knowing as much as you can.

Cheers

John