Sign in to follow this  
endor71

Sub box enclosure

I would like an enclosure like the one that SNS sell in the states.

When they come to this country will they be stocking it and how much??

They look good and make so much space in the boot 8)

ROADHOG, As long as the driver is ment to be ported and the port length is correct then it should be good.

G60JET - There are no such things as drivers that are and are not meant to be ported! There are just poorly designed boxes that are the wrong volume/port freq. for the driver, usually built by owners who don't know what they are doing.

Endor71 - These sorts of enclosures are quite easy to build yourself. At the back, a fibreglass layer following the contours of the car and a flat MDF panel moulded into the front. There are millions of tutorials on these on the net...I just don't have any book marked right now (Doh!) - I'll post one up when I find one. You could prabably build on of those for less than £30.

Chris, Chris okay you re right and wrong i should of said the drive/port combination against volume of the enclosure, required frequcies reponse of the enclosure, drive spec etc. but i didn't

Now porting has nothing to do with badly designed enclousers. porting is down to the response you require from the enclosure and the "sound" and SPL you want to produce.

you can make a standard box to match most drives for any given driver sizes, but it wont be tuned. the ports are used to HELP tune it in these enclosures.

but they are in no way tuned in real terms.

the correct was to make an enclosure is to infact stand back and ask what sound you want, what frequencies you want to reproduce. and then look at the space you have to use in volume terms. Then find a driver that matches/meets your needs and volume enclosure you can make. Of course for the house you would approch it differently. mainly cos you have more space. It is at the early stages you dicide whether you require a ported enclosure or not. then the port length is another caluclation in the final volume of the box.

BTW everyone in audio terms Volume doesnt exsist in terms of turning up the volume. Volume is a term of mass, not sound pressure level. but its a slang term that has been adopted over the years and its easier to say that SPL :lol: :lol:

I made my own side panels to hold the amps and neons they're really easy to make and to adapt them to hold a sub aint to difficult either all you need to do is remove the carpet and cover the wheelarch in foil and fibre glass matt over the top then wait for it to dry pull it out remove the foil and bond what you've made onto a pre cut mdf sheet with some more fibre glass wait for it to dry and carpet it and VOILA custom made sub enclosure :D

BANANA MAN, but fibreglass is flexible!! and thats not a good material to make a subbox, back that onto the body of the car, and you've got a nice resonance chamber!!

not if you dynamat the wheelarch fogot to mention that and if you use good quality fibre glass and plenty of layers when is butted up against the wheelarch you wont get any flex how do you think they make these sub enclosures nigel ( with fibre glass!!) you would only be able to fit a 8 or ten inch sub in the enclosure and probably have a port in it anyway so the pressure would be released unlike a sealled box!!

I'm sorry but the panel you made doesn't look that good. If i were to install that into a car when i worked for Tweeter, I would have gotten fired. But if you don't care about looks then it really doesn't matter.

Thanks Iceman!!!!!! It does actually look alot better in the car when its all installed properly!!! Did I say I was a pro no!! It is a home made job that would probably look ten times better if I were getting paid to make it!!!

ok i'll give you that much. When i do stuff for myself it don't come out too good. I give you credit. :)

not if you dynamat the wheelarch fogot to mention that and if you use good quality fibre glass and plenty of layers when is butted up against the wheelarch you wont get any flex how do you think they make these sub enclosures nigel ( with fibre glass!!) you would only be able to fit a 8 or ten inch sub in the enclosure and probably have a port in it anyway so the pressure would be released unlike a sealled box!!

If you build up enoughl layers the density of fiberglass with eventually do the job. and yes a porting the enclosure will stop the box wanting to flex more than you would want.

MDF is denser then Fiberglass but i didnt say you shouldn't use it, its just not a "good/ideal" material, what you have is a trade off for fitting and flexibility.

It is probalby the best solution for a car as the accoustic in a Car are never that good anyway

An MDF box made of off the right thickness MDF is not easy to fit in the side of the boot, however the fiberglass is as you say moulded to fit, but it wont be as good. Dynamat will stop the vibrations but wont stop them before they happen. as when the vibration hits the matt it is deadend. yet that vibration should not be produced in the first place.

I've allso built side-panels... left and right with halogen spots in it, in the middle i've put a box which i designed on the computer...this way i would be sure that the litres where correct..

S_image003.jpg

S_image010.jpg

in the left panel i made a panel which can be removed, that way i am able to take along my starter cables/ towcable and all other junk you see in the picture :wink:

S_Paneel%20gemonteerd%20zonder%20luikje.jpg

behind the right panel there is the pump for central locking, so there would be so little room that i didn't think i had to put a detachable panel there.

S_Paneel%20gemonteerd1.jpg

the spots i had to switch on with a relais, that way i don't burn the original wiring

S_Relais%20gemonteerd.jpg

i've made a plate-layout from which i could saw and build the whole wooferbox in 1 day !

S_Tekening%20kist.jpg

and the result :

S_Kofferbak%20met%20JBL3.jpg

in the rear deck i have placed a three way compo speaker set from infinity

S_S_DSCF0282.JPG

i hope you will believe that it allways has sounded great.. (until i have damaged my amp recently)

S_S_DSCF0284.JPG

so i'm looking for a good amp which can replace my sherwood class A 2x100 watt amp.

i would like a little more power, but because of the perfect fit of the subwooferbox the amp must be about 20x20 cm's .... anyone have a good idea what i should do now ??

Anyone had any experience with these surge capacitors you connect across the supply to the amps to apparently improve the bass response? I'm running 200WRMS through a sub, sounds good but always looking for improvements.

I have one... but its not improving your bass... it just brings your power supply in your amplifier more constant, that way your battery will last longer and the amp wil get less peak voltage (or dip voltage)

Hans G60.nl, Could you send me the dimensions as im gonna be doing my whole boot soon!!

sure.... but are you sure you need the same no. of litres ??? this one is about 30 litres, designed for a jbl gt2 12" woofer... i have more designs on my pc... so if you tell me what no. of litres you need, i'll search one that fits best on your woofer

I have one... but its not improving your bass... it just brings your power supply in your amplifier more constant, that way your battery will last longer and the amp wil get less peak voltage (or dip voltage)

Couldn't of put it better myself,

sure.... but are you sure you need the same no. of litres ??? this one is about 30 litres, designed for a jbl gt2 12" woofer... i have more designs on my pc... so if you tell me what no. of litres you need, i'll search one that fits best on your woofer

Its the Side pods and floor that im planning on doing first, no bass speaker yet but i'll work that out later!!

Studied Audio at Uni :wink: so its no a problem for me!!

ehmmmm i gotta think very hard what you mean now... the side panels are side pods ???

those panels are hand-made... just with a piece of karton and use that as a thing to draw on the mdf... no computer work on that... the floor is just a straight plate which fits between the side panels...

i don't have a floor plate, so i can reach my spare wheel quite easily

Basically the side bits!!

Panels/pods what ever the bits on each side of the boot,

i was wontering if you had a template but i guess im using the cardboard method too.

That install looks really good Hans. Nice one.

What size MDF did you use? 18mm?

I've got something similar in my boot, but I'm not going to post a pic as it's quite, no, very, crappily finished! Just bodged it together to hold the amps and sub in place without really making a note of the dimensions.

Gunna do it properly soon.... :oops: