Sign in to follow this  
g60rc

CD player stopped working - NOW TROUBLE STARTING CAR! :(

Hi guys, hopefully you can help out...

My fan heater has stopped going up at the screen regardless of where you have the slider so i pulled the CD player out and had a fiiddle (didn't fix it mind :mad2: )

Put the CD player back in and now it doesn't work, it will let the CD come out with the eject button, but not power up. I checked the plugs at the back and they are clipped in right, i think ok.

If you have the key in a position where it is pushed in further and stays there it will come on as normal, but unfortunately this is just before engine start, so not on whilst the engine is on.

Any ideas? The key thing makes me think iginition switch or something... i'm sure one of you will...

Cheers

Theres 2 wires for power on stereos. One that is 'permenant live' which is for the memory (saves radio stations, time etc) which i guess will also allow power to the eject mechanism of the stereo. The other wire is ignition live which allows you to power up there stereo. It could be that the ignition wire has come loose. Definately seems the case since it only happened when you pulled the stereo out. Worth a look?

certainly seems the case then. where is the ignition live located? does it go to the ignition switch? whats it plugged into?

thanks for your help....

certainly seems the case then. where is the ignition live located? does it go to the ignition switch? whats it plugged into?

thanks for your help....

The ignition wire will go be connected to the back of your stereo and will go to the ignition switch (obv :lol:). I'd pull the stereo back out and check all the wires are connected.

BOLLOCKS,

pulled the CD player out today, checked it was plugged in right.... Then i went to the iginition switch and had a fiddle to see if it was loose etc.

Now i have trouble starting the car, i have to press in on the key hard otherwise it will just turn over.... Is this the switch do you think?

BOLLOCKS,

pulled the CD player out today, checked it was plugged in right.... Then i went to the iginition switch and had a fiddle to see if it was loose etc.

Now i have trouble starting the car, i have to press in on the key hard otherwise it will just turn over.... Is this the switch do you think?

Yup sounds like it, get it changed mate.

well ive bought one... anyone else think it is before i take it out of the packaging...

BOLLOCKS,

mines doing the exact same as this!

so i need an ignition switch? can anyone tell me where its located and whats involved in replacing it?

Awesome, that worked! Starts straight up and i have a cd player again.

Umm, yeah, if your problem is the same i'd get a switch...!

Mine was £23 something in VW.

What i did (it's the thing on the back of where the key sits, ignition barrel:)

Drivers seat out

Bottom steering cover thing off

Get on the floor looking up at it and unplug the old one,

With a very small cross head screwdirver locate and unscrew the small screw on the switch/barrel (if you look at the new switch you'll see where the screw will be...)

It will now pull out.

Fit it as you took it out...

8)

Good to hear you got it sorted mate.

If you're going to buy a ign switch its advised to buy a VAG one, not a cheaper pattern part like from GSF. As you will only end up replacing it again within 6 months - i learnt this myself :lol:

I had read that, didn't even bother checking prices at gsf... Are all VAG ones black? The one i removed was white, so possibly a pattern part one that has failed...