Sign in to follow this  
awigman

What if its not the ignition switch??

Iv recently had some issues starting the 16V. When i turn the key all the dash lights come on (so battery fine) the fuel pump kicks in but nothing happens. I changed the ignition switch and all seemed fine. Then 2 months later the same thing has started to happen. I wasted 20 quid and bought another one thinking it might be a dodgy switch but it still wont turn over. What else could be causing this. Starter motor,plugs? Just to add the car will start if bump started.

Thanks

sticky starter motor soleniod perhaps - usually happens in hot weather...

Next time it won't start hit it with something like a breaker bar to release it

both VAG ones, took ur advice before about avoiding the GSF ones

where is the starter motor soleniod?

What happens if you change the switch but the car still refuses to start unless you wiggle the wires leading into the switch? Is it a fault in the loom?

(Sorry this is my question but may help you out :))

Had the same thing happen to mine. You'd usually get a 'click' noise from the starter motor if the solenoid was sticking. (solenoid is ontop of the starter motor, where the wires plug into it)

I reckon it could be the lock housing itself. On mine the connecting piece between the ignition barrel and the ignition switch was worn and not turning the ignition switch fully when the key was turned in the barrel. This part is only made of plastic, so it's easy to see how it can wear out.

That 'L' shaped end on the ignition barrel should fit tightly into the matching piece inside the housing itself. On mine the white plastic piece down in the housing was worn and was causing the starter motor not to engage.

Had the same thing happen to mine. You'd usually get a 'click' noise from the starter motor if the solenoid was sticking. (solenoid is ontop of the starter motor, where the wires plug into it)

I reckon it could be the lock housing itself. On mine the connecting piece between the ignition barrel and the ignition switch was worn and not turning the ignition switch fully when the key was turned in the barrel. This part is only made of plastic, so it's easy to see how it can wear out.

That 'L' shaped end on the ignition barrel should fit tightly into the matching piece inside the housing itself. On mine the white plastic piece down in the housing was worn and was causing the starter motor not to engage.

Thanks for the info and pics mate.

How will i find out if it is worn. Will i have to remove the igition barrel? How do you do this?

First of all I'd check to see if you are getting 12v to the starter/solenoid. Pull the plug with the thin wire that is plugged into the solenoid and use a multimeter or test bulb between that plug and an earthing point, to see if you are getting 12v there when the key is turned.

If you aren't my bet would be the ignition housing is the problem.

The barrel isn't that easy to remove. I'll try to dig out a photo of what you need to do, and pm you the details.

First of all I'd check to see if you are getting 12v to the starter/solenoid. Pull the plug with the thin wire that is plugged into the solenoid and use a multimeter or test bulb between that plug and an earthing point, to see if you are getting 12v there when the key is turned.

If you aren't my bet would be the ignition housing is the problem.

The barrel isn't that easy to remove. I'll try to dig out a photo of what you need to do, and pm you the details.

I took my car to a garage this morning to see if the starter had gone but apperently its fine. So i presume it must be the igition housing. I think im going to have to stump up and take it to VW. Iv pretty much given up now! :shrug: :help:

Iv given in and booked it into listers vw on tuesday. Itl cost £75 pounds just to look at it tho. :(

Its due for a servive as well soon but im no way paying their prices!

I just changed the whole starter on mine as it had seen better days and its one of those jobs you don't really want to have to do again.

Saying that, no its not.

If your removing the starter just be sure to place a jack under the engine and hold the weights as two starter bolts go through to the front engine mount.

if your slow and take your time, 2-3hrs? just fiddly with the front end on and as i had to take it off anyways it makes access alot easier as everything you need to get to id right there in front of you.

I know this is a OLDDD thread, but my car did the same as the orignial poster, and all i did to fix it was make sure the king lead, and all over leads were fitted correctly, spraying WD in and around the Dizzy and it had all got abit damp stopping the car from even attempting to turn over.

Tried to find recent post to get some help - I am thinking of removing my starter motor as all I'm getting is a whurring noise (sticking bendix?!? dunno) when trying to start. It's only 1 yr old but went through some cooling issues which meant runing quite hot on a longish journey which i think has done something to the electrics (alternator now very frail).

Where / how best to prop up engine when doing this?!?! what do you mean "hold the weights"

hope you can comment

Cheers

I reckon he means the weights of the engine/gearbox and starter motor.

I stick a jack and a soft piece of wood under where the engine/gearbox join. Not sure if it's the correct place but it works for me.