Sign in to follow this  
V-Dubstar

Fitting a ball joint...

Hi guys

My 'rado just failed its 1st MOT being in my posession, one point being, and I quote "Offside front suspension has excessive play in a lower suspension ball joint"

Im not the most gifted in mechanical knowledge OR electrical for that matter, but am always up for giving something a go so I can learn how to do it next time (as long as I dont f*ck the car up so much I can't drive it!! :lol: )

Im wondering:

a) is this an easy enough job for someone like me to do?

b) any tips, help or instructions on what to do

c) any recommendations for places to get the ball joint from, part no's etc?

Thanks in advance!!

Chris

Only get a genuine VW one when you get one as copy parts from GSF etc don't last very long.

It's not a difficult job really, it will be a lot easier if you have a proper ball joint splitter as getting them out of the hub carrier can be a b!tch! I have only used the type of splitter you whack with a hammer before and they work but obviously ruin the original ball joint so I'd only recommend using one if you are replacing the BJ.

You will need to get the tracking done after as well.

Just get stuck in, it's the best way to learn, you will see what nuts/bolt's etc need removing when down there, but basically it's the main nut holding the BJ to the hub carrier and then 3 bolts holding the BJ to the wishbone.

mark where the ball joint bracket sits on the end of the wishbone clearly, so when you refit the new one you can get it just about in the right place, that way the alignment might be pretty close to how it was originally when you reassemble everything.

Try to soak the hub/balljoint fitting well before starting the job too, i used a chisel hammered into the split in the two halves of the fitting at the bottom of the hub to help relieve a bit of pressure on the balljoint shaft, it just knocked out pretty easily then when whacked from above.

I had to replace the ball joint and wish bone a couple of weeks back and I am a complete novice really but once I had done it you can see how easy it really is. One tip I will give you is if you haven,t got a ball joint spliter, when you need to remove the thing turn the sterring to the right and whack the arm which the ball joint sits in with a hammer a few times and the ball joint should just prize out.

Thanks for the advice guys :salute:

Couldn't get a VW part til Weds, the MOT runs out on Monday and as it's my daily driver I had to get it from GSF :|

But bloody hell, what a mission!! Theoretically it looks like quite an easy job. But where my car has obviously been stood around for aaaaaages, everything's pretty corroded down there. The 3 bolts rounded pretty much instantly, so had to get hold of a mate and his angle grinder!! Then it started p*ssin' it down :mad2:

Lol, got there in the end tho, the one I took out was completely split and moving allover the place!!

Gonna book in to get the camber/toe done soon!

Anyways, thanks for the help guys :salute:

How do you guys get around the fact that the top bolt which needs to be removed (due to the balljoint being "notched") not fitting past the caliper carrier bolt? Do you all remove the carrier bolt which seems impossible on all the cars i've tried, or some other way?

:scratch: I don't recall that being a problem and I did a CV boot the other day and took the top bolt of the ball joint out. For the carriers mine luckily have been off a few times recently and were easy with a medium breaker bar, try lots of penetrating oil for a few days and some heat if yo have a plumbers torch etc. should come out OK. They are fairly big so need a fair bit of persuasion if they're corroded in a bit.

How do you guys get around the fact that the top bolt which needs to be removed (due to the balljoint being "notched") not fitting past the caliper carrier bolt? Do you all remove the carrier bolt which seems impossible on all the cars i've tried, or some other way?

That bolts the wrong way round!