Sign in to follow this  
Baz2004

Replacing Copper brake pipes with braded lines

Has anyone replaced the rear copper pipes that run along the rear axel with braded lines? I have the goodridge lines on the rears mrk iv calipers but I think there is a slight twist in one or the new copper lines I made.

dsc01474h.jpg

Im considering replacing the copper pipes on the rear axel with some braded ones, its just to tricky to bend the copper pipes along the rear axel and get a tidy finish on it. Im thinking maybe a 2 foot braded line would sit better and be less hassle to fit to the central lines along the under carriage.

Has anyone carried out a similar job?

I personally wouldnt run that length in a braided hose,

you can buy small benders for the copper pipes,there inexpensive and easy to use

Ive seen braded lines in some rally cars and in some of those showpiece Mrk 1s that never see the road so it must be possible to get it done.

I have the small medium and larger pipe benders but they are not that easy to use when you’re trying to shape 3 foot of pipe under a car. I’m trying to avoid taking the axel off the car again.

There are plenty of places that will make them for you, goodridge make them to a pattern,takes a couple of weeks,

you can have them made with ALL stainless fittings, but be prepared to pay !

Drag cars and hot rods dont use copper pipe, they use stainless pipe ! you think youve struggled with copper,wait till you use stainless !

cant you use stiff wire,an old brake pipe to make a template, and bend it off the car, or at least most of it

It costs about £90, it expands less than copper, but more than steel. I prefer it as there are less joins in the system. You can use the fuel line clips found under the floor to clip it on with. No special tools or anything necessary. :D

It costs about £90, it expands less than copper, but more than steel. I prefer it as there are less joins in the system. You can use the fuel line clips found under the floor to clip it on with. No special tools or anything necessary. :D

This is what im talking about 90 quid ant bad was that for the full lenght of the car up to the brake MC? Where did you get all the bits - Rally Design ?

I would have thought a braided line that long would introduce some sponginess into the pedal. ok, they dont expand under pressure like normal flexihoses but they will expand more than the copper line.

I dont think its an issue once they are well locked down, especially on 4 pot brembos. I’m only looking to run them across the rear axel and possibly replace the existing lines i have into the callipers.

This is what im talking about 90 quid ant bad was that for the full lenght of the car up to the brake MC? Where did you get all the bits - Rally Design ?

Sorry, I can't remember where i got it all from, online somewhere! I'm running it from the ABS manifold onwards.

but they will expand more than the copper line

From what I've been told, it expands less than copper pipe, but more than steel (oem), it certainly feels like that's the case when you compare the two side by side.

But in reality I have never been able to tell the difference between copper/braid/steel when driving the car, it's not the night/day difference you get when replacing your rubber hoses with braid.