Sign in to follow this  
Stevo-M

Could a leaky rocker gasket cause a misfire?

Just wondered if the oil running down the engine could be causing the car to misfire? It's leaking down the back at the exhaust manifold side, and at the side of the dizzy cap and collecting on the gearbox. There is a wee spot of oil in the cap. I would change the gasket but my other car has a blown head gasket at the mo' so i need to get that sorted first :roll:

have u checked its not leaking into the spark plug holes and causing misfire from their. if its gettin on disi then could cause misfire, but not from just running down the back

You sure it's not leaking through the dizzy? The internal seals fail in the 16v units. That can cause a misfire, shortly before the dizzy packs up altogether.

On further inspection...

The distributor has a tiny bit of oil in it, behind the plastic cover that sits between the rotor arm and distributor.

Also when i checked the spark plugs, the HT lead nearest the timing belt side was soaked in engine oil, that was before i took the plug out. The plug itself had wet oil on the sparky end of it.

I noticed the gasket set in the link has a 4 ringed gasket with it, i presume that's for the spark plug chamber? so i'll get this and see how it goes. Does anyone know where the 2 small half circle ones go, or will it be obvious when the cover's off?

cheers guys 8)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... egory=9889

The 2 semi circles are covers for .......not surprisingly 2 semi circular holes :D .....one at each end :lol:

Right, i changed the rocker gaskets this morning, cleaned the offending plug and lead but the misfire's still there :( . Driving the car is horrendus! My next port of call is replacing the plugs, and if that doesn't work then new HT leads (red ones! :lol: ) and rotor arm and dizzy cap when i next get paid