Sign in to follow this  
G60BoyRacer

G60 Block

Can anyone tell me what the g60 block is the same as. I know the head is off a Golf GTI 8v, but what about the block? The 8v GTI block has no oil sprays at the base of the pistion bores, so what does, apart from a 16V GTI block! I have been told that the block is from a 1.8 diesel vw, but is it or not? can anyone help!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

The PG block is a one off. There are plenty of SIMILAR blocks out there in VW's catalogue, but the PG block is the only one with the waterjacket, oilways and oil sprayers upgraded for the super charger... Even the Rallye's 1H block is slightly different in that it has a different waterjacket layout around the piston areas which is (apparently) even better than the PG block's... 8)

Also, the crank is different in a G60 (one's cast, one's forged) and the head is also very slightly different, although I've yet to work out where... :?

I've been doing quite a lot of research into G60 engines over the last 6 months after mine expired! :roll: :lol:

Henny, I hate to pull you up, as your info is usually 100%.

The crank on a G60 is the same as a Rallye. It is also the same as the (16V)KR, PL, (8V)PB and PF motors. Basically it is fitted to most 1800 engines.

The 1H Rallye head has different sized holes for the headbolts. Consequently, the block is different to the PG, as well.

Gavin

Henny, I hate to pull you up, as your info is usually 100%.

The crank on a G60 is the same as a Rallye. It is also the same as the (16V)KR, PL, (8V)PB and PF motors. Basically it is fitted to most 1800 engines.

The 1H Rallye head has different sized holes for the headbolts. Consequently, the block is different to the PG, as well.

Gavin

Are you sure about the crank Gav? I read in one of the initial reviews of the G60 engines that the crank was different to put up with the extra stresses... I could well be wrong though, and I never mind being corrected if that's the case... 8)

I know the 1H is a completely different block, it's a smaller CC for a start! :wink: As it happens, the new engine for my 'rado is built around a 1H block as my PG block was knackered so was scrapped... :?

Henny, 'ETKA' says its the same. 026 105 101E. I have a brand new one in my garage along with a set of rods. I got them from a VW mechanic who said they were for a G60. Which ETKA confirmed for me. I think I told you the tale, at the meeting earlier this month.

Good scope for fleecing someone though. "Yeah only G60 this crank mate, it would have been loads cheaper if it was an 8V one". I wonder how many have unknowingly paid too much at a breakers for common or garden parts? :roll:

Same with the G60 dissy, same as a digifant Golf.

Later

Gavin

anybody know about the con rods?

since were all trying to find out what was used in all engines?

The G60 queries have already been answered by our esteemed gurus, but the 16V block just uses the main bearing & conrod shells from the diesel. I'm not sure if the diesel had oil crown spray jets as diesels run a lot cooler than petrol engines but that's where the similarities end! Diesels (at the time) where either 1.9 or 1.6 and CR is about 18:1, 16V is 10:1 and 1781cc.

The 16V also has sodium filled exhaust valves for better heat dissipation.

K