Sign in to follow this  
waggy2114

Fuel gauge problems

Can anyone out there HELP. I have a 91 G60 and when i bought it the fuel gauge was not working at all. I changed the fuel pump to see if there was a problem there and still no movement. I then aquired a set of clocks which were sold as "working" once i put these on there was some movement on the fuel needle hooray. Now no matter how much fuel i put in the gauge does not go above a quarter, any ideas anyone?? :confused4: :confused4:

mine is the same. :shrug: i just reset trip and ges how long fuel should last :confused4: sometimes it reads 1/4 sometimes none. hope you fine a answer for this,if i work out whats wrong with mine i will tell u.

If you have fitted some replacement clocks it is more likely to be the sender in the tank.

You replaced the pump - new VDO pumps use a different sender to the Pierburg original - did you change this too or manage to get an old style pump?

Are the clocks VDO or Motometre?

The clocks are VDO and i did replace the pump with one from a vr6 but the old pump was still working i just changed it to see if it made a difference to my gauge.

Ok, if you want to test it then these are the readings you should get across the 2 pins at the plug for the sender, the other 2 wires are the live and earth to the pump (thicker gauge)

Full 35 Ohms

Half 90

Empty 285

Worth checking these and then maybe cleaning the tracks of the little pcb that the gauge gets its signal from.

You replaced the pump - new VDO pumps use a different sender to the Pierburg original - did you change this too or manage to get an old style pump?

Hi, sorry for threadjacking, just got a quick question..

I replaced my old pump with a Bosch one, but the sender unit didn't fit. Will the VDO-sender fit the Bosch pump? :confused4:

Hi Wormy, not sure i'm afraid mate... maybe worth calling Bosch up, the tech guys in the autoparts dept are usually pretty good.

The VDO one is wider than the original where it slots in I think...

Sorted i think i had the pump sat facing the wrong way round and the float could not fully move .

Thanks for eyeryones help and advice.