Sign in to follow this  
Stevo-M

Vibration through whole car when accelerating

Has anyone experienced this? It's especially bad at lower revs when pulling away from stationary. It's not like wheel balancing being off, it's more like a "hnnnnnnnn..." through the entire car and eases as the revs get higher, and it stops when the clutch is pressed in. The car's a 2.0 16v.

'Any ideas?

Cheers

front engine mount? When my front one was fooked the car drove terrible....so much so that one garage asvised me that my gearbox was fooked! :shrug:

check your exhaust manifold heat shield, mine is making a similar sound to that at the moment and its rattling quite badly...

How do i check the engine mounts? I gave the engine a shake and it moved a little. The front mount doesn't look like it's deterioted, but could it be rotten inside the rubber? I couldn't see the other mounts mind you.

I had a quick look at the heat shield but i think it's something more substantial than that, the dashboard and trim panels all vibrate pretty badly :scrambleup:

my front one looked OK too until I took it out and watched it tip hydraulic fluid all over the garage floor!

One way to check, is rev the engine from under the bonnet and see how much it lifts.

Check you've turned your vibrator off :D

Sorted! :D

Joking aside, it wasn't quite as bad today, thankfully!

Check you've turned your vibrator off :D

Sorted! :D

Joking aside, it wasn't quite as bad today, thankfully!

[Cue obvious gag]

That's because the battery is running down.

is it only under acceleration ? how much ? is it as much to vibrate the gear know? if so driveshaft!!!

if not definatly your vibrator :D haha

liam

It's deffo worse when accelerating and cruising up hills, it goes away when i lift off the gas pedal. What if it is the drive shaft, will it pop out eventually and leave me stranded, or will it get worse and worse? And also, is there any other symptoms of a gammy shaft?

Thanks guys :salute:

im just going to throw something out there, and if you dont like it, u can go on and throw it right back!

might possibly be misfiring under load,

one possible way of lookin for the drive shaft is if you have axle stands, wack it up. and run the car,

however

if it stops when you put clutch down, im assuming your still travelling at speed when you do this and so it shouldnt be a drive shaft as that would be constant and get worse the faster you go.

id check leads and ignition coil pack etc.

has it suddenly just started?

It is mis-firing, oil's leaking into the spark plug from the rocker gasket. I have a new gasket set but havn't got round to fitting it yet, I hadn't really thought of them being connected! :roll:

The vibration in this case is like a truck driving past your house and the window vibrates, you know that deep tone type of vibe. Sometimes it's really bad and other times it's fine, but all the time it still mis-fires. I'll see to that tomorow and post the results. Hope your right! 8)

:lol: :lol: i think uv diagnoise ur own problem :lol:

oil gets onto spark plugs or ht leads will cause it to misfire deffinatly.

hope u get it all sorted, let us no

casual :wave:

It could be the misfire but i still think it could be down to engine mounts.

Is the noise around 2000 - 3500 revs and then does it go? I have the same noise and I've put it down to a cheap and nasty rear engine mount that I had fitted.

I fitted a new rocker gasket but i think the vibes are even worse now :( My theory is that the HT leads are old and disturbing them has worsened matters, so i've got a new set on the way from egay. Failing that I'll be getting a timing belt and kr cam fitted soon, so i'll ask to get the bad vibrations seen to at the same time, and post any findings for future reference 8)

Thanks for the feedback fella's :salute:

just from what your sayin id still think it was ignition based problem, hope you get it sorted soon

Hi folks, i replaced the HT leads today. The car's running much better and the vibration's away! So thanks for the advice guys :clap:

However it still misfires one the engines warmed up, my next port of call is to get the ignition timing checked again one the new ISV arrives. What i did notice is that the lead nearest the distributor had a wire attatchment coming off it and leading onto the loom, what is this for and is it important? The replacement lead didn't have this on it and it doesn't look like i can swap it over :shrug:

Thanks

none yet, i'm getting a kr cam fitted soon though, once it's running fine! I've just found out the extention thing is an impulse sensor, so i might try'n sort something out with that