Sign in to follow this  
Kempy

key cutting

Just had a remote central locking kit fitted, now I got a blank flip key fob, will a key cutter cut it for my ingnition key or my door with out needing proof I was owner and stuff like that? or is a it a dealer jobby? Also would it be a bad idea to get the door handle key barrel re-tumbled to the same as the ignition? So I only need the new flip key fob like modern cars?

cheers :wave: :shrug:

Dealers don't have the kit any more - was usful when they did though as they used to do it for free!

Just go to Morrisons etc and get it done, they never ask for proof.

I would retumble the handle yes but it's easier to just swap the lock over from the original handle if you have it?

If not then you need to work out what levers you need so I'd remove the pass door handle to do this ideally give the key code to the VW dealer - this is on a cable tie on the spare key if you have it.

I currently have 3 different keys, boot, door and ignition. should have 4 cause none of my keys work in the passenger door :?

I've delocked the boot to eliminate the 3rd. So Im left with 2 and a blank key fob not the original handle. probably get the ignition key cut on my blank fob

Mines exactly the same fella one key for the drivers door and another for the ignition dont have a key for the boot or the passenger door!!

stick a solenoid in the boot thats what I done, and bought a us spec plate holder with the key barrel filled in..should look good soon. I'll do some pics

Always unlock the boot from the central locking anyway so never bothered me will get it sorted one day though!!

oh yes, thats just as good to. lol forgot it did that :( not on mine any more

you can buy a bag of the tumbler pins from vw, you get about 100 for a few £'s. will either be 6 or 7 in the barrel.

you can copy what is in the drivers door for the passenger door to get that working. piece of paper and write down what order you take them out in (they each have a number stamped on them) then copy the order for the passenger barrel.

i did the above as i bought a lock set and drivers handle from a late rado but the barrel wouldnt fit the early handle on the passenger side. 10 min job with ease, although i was only swapping from one to the other but essentially the same.

or a bit of trial and error to get one to work with new ignition key. then just copy it for the other side.

personally i like to have different keys for ignition and doors, can start getting the oil warmed up but lock the doors. comes in handy at work.

hope it helps you a little