Sign in to follow this  
Phil_J

Corrado non starter

Hi

I'm a new corrado owner and appear to have bought a bit of a lemon.

The car is now a non starter there is no spark when cranking over and have tried to different coil pack with the same outcome, I am thinking it might be the immobiliser and I was wondering if there was a way of disconnecting the factory fitted immobiliser system.

Would br grateful for any help with this.

Cheer

It may be the ignition switch mate.....a very very common problem on corrados......here are a couple of threads for you to read......

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80076&hilit=ignition+switch

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=748&hilit=ignition+switch

And a guide how to change the ignition switch......

http://wiki.the-corrado.net/ignition_sw ... ement.html

The search at the top right of the page is your best bet for most things :D

Good Luck

Thanks for the reply.

With my car the car will turn over no problem, it's just seems to be that there is no spark at the plugs and I have tried changing the coil pack which made no difference.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply.

With my car the car will turn over no problem, it's just seems to be that there is no spark at the plugs and I have tried changing the coil pack which made no difference.

Cheers

What model is it?

It's a 1994 corrado VR6.

A couple of weeks ago the car cut out just as I was slowing down at a junction and wouldn't start at first but after about 10 mins it started and ran with no problems.

This time the car was running fine, I went in and filled it with super unleaded came out and it wouldn't start called out the RAC and he said it was the coil pack so towed the car home the next day i fitted a spare coil pack that was working and still nothing.

As I mucked about at one point when I had one of the plugs out the car started and was running a bit lumpy stopped the car and refitted the plug but back to having no spark.

I was thinking it might be the factory fitted immobiliser and was wondering if there was a way of disconecting it.

Cheers

definitely sounds like the classic ignition switch problem to me too... Think they're still about £30 from VW and not that difficult to fit.

When they fail, you'll find the car will crank over no problems on the starter, but the fuel pump and coil won't be getting power while the starter is active, so it'll never start - exactly as you describe... Until you change the switch, you're likely to just be banging your head against a brick wall.... a good way to prove it is to turn on the ignition and try and bump start the car... if it starts, then it's 100% the ignition switch having failed... if not, then it could still be the ignition switch having failed in a more major way (they do this too!) or something else, but changing the starter switch isn't too expensive, isn't too difficult (if a little painful!) and so is always a good starting place with faults like this... 8)

Good luck!

Thanks will order one of them along with the ECU relay and ignition relay.

Had it on a diagnostic and it showed a faulty speed sensor so fitted one of them but still haveing the same problem intermitantly so will try the above.

Cheers