Sign in to follow this  
daytona600

VR6 Written off by idiots with concrete blocks

Hi All

I am gutted :mad2: today as my Corrado VR6 which I have treasured for 4 years was involved in an accident last night. Also it's a heads up for any drivers in the Stowmarket area.

At 22:50 I was heading home down Needham Road between the ICI roundabout and the Esso garage at 30mph. Some idiots had placed 4 york stone blocks equally across the main road. By the time I saw them it was too late to avoid a collision and my front & rear n/s wheels took the impact. I called 999 as I could see other blocks further down the road and stopped other traffic from hitting them. I could hear those responsible in the park next to the road and told the police that if they hurried they would catch them. To my surprise a copper turned up 3 minutes later but unfortunately he was not at all interested in catching them. He parked up and helpfully put his blue lights on which frightened off the culprits.

Result is a bent front suspension, knackered front hub, split rear alloy. The garage (not VW) have estimated at least £1500 to get it fixed as new suspension (lowered) is required and a new set of alloys as well as a new hub & 2 tyres. If anyone can steer (no pun intended) me in the right direction of a decent full suspension kit that will lower the car -40mm from standard I would be most grateful.

The insurance company have said it is likely to be a write off so I presume that I will be able to buy the car off them & get it fixed? If anyone has experience of this I would welcome any advice.

My excess is £450 and I estimate the car to be worth between £3250 - £4500 (when fixed). 103k on the clock & very clean.

I feel a bit better now I have got that off my chest. Any advice most welcome. Ta.

No, did not get his name. I wonder if the people that did it will be out to try again tonight? Maybe someone will get injured of killed this time.

There are some real little scrots out there mate. Might have been the same people that were throwing bricks at cars on the A14. :censored:

Man that sucks, feel sorry for you.

I think we should send Toad after them :D hehe

That really sucks. If only we could catch them and put them in place of the blocks the little sh*ts.

Although if you value your car at that price then i'm sure it would not be written off, a lot of the parts you could probably aquire from off here, everyone would help you i'm certain of that.

Good luck with it all, it'll soon be all sorted and back on the road putting a smile on your face.

Thanks, I may be being a bit optimistic with my valuation after looking around on the net. To me the car value is almost priceless but I fear I may be turning to the dark side after looking at pics & reviews of the Nissan 350 Z.

Sods law that I just signed up to suffolkbugrs and was looking forward to the alive & dubbin event.

Sorry to hear about your incident - I would be hopping mad.

I lost it last winter with kids throwing snowballs at passing cars, when they then gave me a load of lip, told them i was going to report them, which i did and again, Police went straight out.

Hopefully your car will not be written off, however if you decide to pull out of C ownership and look at a 350Z - all i can say is wow - what a fab car - superb to drive. From my test drives on Sunday, it far outwayed any of the others, i felt completly at one with the car, it was completly sorted - if you know what i mean. Big grins on face when i returned.

Good luck with the Insurers.

yeah i know. i have been thinking about the bike thing all day. With 3 little ones I am almost decided that I will get rid of of my bike. 2 Nights before & I would have been history or worse crippled.

Wendy, I just grin looking at pics of the car. To be honest, If I can afford it I will keep the VR6 no matter what. Get rid of the bike, Get a 2nd hand 350 Z & slowly restore the VR6 to original spec. What do you think? The Corrado is probably better than cash in the bank. TBH I am getting a bit old for my Daytona 675 at 42. Time to grow up and buy a sensible Nissan ;-)

Thanks both of you. I did not hear about the A14 bricks. Where abouts on the 14 was it?

They were throwing bricks off the foot bridge at the sugar factory near Bury Tescos. Was a little while ago now and further up from Stow obviously. I have to drive under it every day on my way to work and even though it hasn't happened in a little while I still look out for people standing on the bridge.

Can I just heartily also add a recommendation for the 350Z. One of the best second hand buys out there if you're looking for a decent driver's car.

Wendy, I just grin looking at pics of the car. To be honest, If I can afford it I will keep the VR6 no matter what. Get rid of the bike, Get a 2nd hand 350 Z & slowly restore the VR6 to original spec. What do you think? The Corrado is probably better than cash in the bank. TBH I am getting a bit old for my Daytona 675 at 42. Time to grow up and buy a sensible Nissan ;-)

I would say the Nissan is hardly what you would call sensible. :lol:

It has better performance figures than the Corrado and I would say somewhat faster !!!

My instant thoughts were - ideal replacement for the VR- it seemed to me to be the ideal next step up.

If I had bought a car on Sunday from the Test drives I did, it would have been the 350Z - no question about it.

Prices are getting better, lower, as the 370Z has now been released.

I too would not sell my Corrado, its more of a car than resalable value suggests - in my book anyway.

Besides i personally like the security for a while of knowing I have not sold my car - just incase a months ownership of a new one - changes my mind in how good it is and a resale is required !!!

Cautious I know !!!

OK, I know where you mean Sonic. Just before the sugar there is a footbridge, near Bury Bowl I believe. I think there is a school nearby that bridge which might explain.

Pat, thanks for the offer. The only OEM part I think I may need is the front n/s wheel hub. I am also trying to find a single Wolfrace Matrix satin finish 17" wheel to get the car drivable.

We of the same mind the Wendy, except you did not spot my ;-) after the word "sensible" I will let you off that small error ;-)

oh dear. I seem to have fat fingers tonight :lol:

Should read : We are of the same mind Wendy, except you did not spot my ;-) after the word "sensible" I will let you off that small error ;-)

Hi All

I feel a bit better now I have got that off my chest. Any advice most welcome. Ta.

My advice? Forget the Police. Obtain a shotgun. Track them down. Execute them without mercy.

You live in the country. Obtain vengence the country way.

(well you wanted advice...)

No way!!! I cant belive this! such a nice vr as well! I will try my hardest to find out as much info as i can! REALLY REALLY FUCKS me off when people do stuff like this!! :censored: :bad-words:

No way!!! I cant belive this! such a nice vr as well! I will try my hardest to find out as much info as i can! REALLY REALLY **** me off when people do stuff like this!!

Thanks mate. Any info would be appreciated. I have a quote to fix the car £1500.

To be honest I think it would be cheaper for you to source an OEM suspension setup (new or otherwise) at the moment. You can then worry about upgraded suspension etc at a later date :)

Getting close to finding out who was responsible. Have some names and just waiting for a bit more info before I go back to the police. Still asking for more information, if anyone can shed any light on this it will be most helpful.