Sign in to follow this  
eugopnosaj

Rebuild

Ok so over the summer I need to do a rebuild, my '92 is blowing through two cylinders so basically needs a new block, I've got a donor car (crash damage) a '95 with the same engine spec. Apart from obviously rebuilding the engine is there anything else i need to take from the '95, ie wiring loom, ecu etc....

Also the c/l in the '92 has decided to stop working however i know it works (with full closure) on the '95. I've checked the pump and it clicks when i try to lock the doors remotely (doesnt do anything when i try manually in the lock) but it doesnt actually lock. I think im going to take the doors and boot from the '95 because for some reason the key only fits the drivers door on the '92 and then i need another one for ignition however the '95 is just one key for all operation

Ill probably be messagin/creating threads quite a bit while im doing this so any advice would be greatly appreciated, even if it is just links to threads already on here :)

Thanks in advance

Jay

Your '92 and '95 cars have different interiors but mechanically they are the same. 1992 was the cutover year from the early interiors to the newer style late interiors.

It should be a straight swap of engines. Just drop the whole engine/gearbox from your '95 and stick it in the '92. Now watch as somebody will appear and tell you to use the ECU or something like that :)

Oh and when you're done sell me what's left of the crash damaged '95.

Your '92 has a different lock and key to the ignition as the door handles breaking is a common fault with the Corrado handles. In years gone by the only option was to buy a replacement handle from VW for ££££££'s or one from a scrapyard for ££'s. The owner of the '92 must have bought a handle from the scrapyard hence the differnt keys. It could be that the c/l not working is the fact that the cable from the handle is not plugged in? Remove the doorcard and have a look. You shouldn't need to remove the whole doors from the '95 as they are blue and your '92 is green. You will only need to remove the handles.

So you're saying i don't need to bother with the ECU etc?

I dont think the '95 is blue...will double check that, the only reason i was going to do that apart from the door locks (i cant even put either keys into the lock on the boot i can only open it via the c/l which has stopped working) was that neither the mirrors work and someone must have keyed it at some point and the cover up paint job is starting to crack...and ive had the door card off and can't see anything not connected. When i press the button on the keyfob to arm the car the windows attempt to go up (about 5cm) then stop so i know its no the fuse but cant figure out why they stop...i might just refit the whole alarm system and check for broken wires etc. Its an old clifford eagle and ive got no manual but ive pretty much worked ou the wiring etc

Thanks for your reply :)

If it was me I would change the whole lot. ECU and engine bay ancileries. I don't know if you need to change them but as they came fitted to the engine I would use them again.

I thought your car was blue but I might be wrong. I remember watching the Fleabay auction with interest :) Still sounds like you have a good project there. And all credit to you for getting a Corrado roadworthy again.

Its an old clifford eagle and ive got no manual

Try HERE matey

Already tried that its not on there as its too old, i found a wiring diagram which seemed to fit the bill by searching through hundreds of forums

@shaung60 im taking the '92 back at the weekend so will double check then i cant remember what colour it is, tbh i thought at first it was blue but it was covered in so much dirt that i couldnt really tell! Its a car ive always wanted, ever since i had a paper round when i was 11 and i walked up a drive with a (horrible) brown VR6 and ive been hooked ever since! its only taken me about 11years to get one but will definately be worth the wait :)

I will probably take the ECU from the '95, its newer and will register the lower mileage from the better engine. Ill let you know how the rebuild goes and if i remember will take pics etc