Sign in to follow this  
harin

What to do with my c :~

Hi all,

After doing my install (http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... 17&t=78293) and being excited to see it on the rolling road at Storm it all went a bit pear shaped.

First couple of runs on the rolling road the bhp was well below what it should have been so the guys then did a compression test and cylinder 6 was way off. So my engine basically needs replacing/rebuilding and it looks like my choices are:

1. Get the engine rebuilt (£2000)

2. Go for the R32 (although looks like engines are hard to find these days) (£5000)

3. Sell the car and move on (who the £$%^ is going to buy a car with a dud engine)

(any of the above before summer so I have something to drive)

So after getting back from Storm I ripped out (just imagine parts flying everywhere) and sold the charger asap.

To make matters worse the car now doesn't start (fueling/immobiliser problem) and I had MOT/Road Tax due yesterday (car is parked on the road as I don't have a driveway).

So basically I'm fed up and not quite sure what to do. If anyone has any thoughts/advice or there is a blindingly obvious solution I've missed then please let me know!

Cheers,

Harin

Gotta say i think your pricing is WAY over what it would cost if you did it yourself.

I've just rebuilt my VR engine for around the £700 mark (have lost count and darn't add it all up) but thats alot less than £2k

I also have an R32 engine which is for sale for £1300 in the parts for sale section, on top of this you would need a conversion manifold (£400), an oil cooler (£200), wiring converted (dependant on who does it £250-£1500) and some pipes converting and then dependant on how far into the conversion and how much money you want to splash out you could probably get it done for £2.5k and have change left over.

Selling a car with a dud engine just isn't a good idea, you will lose loads of money. worst case and cheapest option would be to just buy another VR and chuck it in, you could probably pick up a replacement for £400.

i have a spare vr engine that was running strong before i ripped it out to go r32, you can have it with 'box for £400 or on its own for £300 if its any use to you? car had done 122k, fsh, i havent replaced the chains and tensioners but it certainly seemd like a good engin, i put 17k on her in 2 years and the only issue was a new set of ht leads and inlet temp sensor. The engine is out and available asap so that could be a v cheap way to get running again?

i have a spare vr engine that was running strong before i ripped it out to go r32, you can have it with 'box for £400 or on its own for £300 if its any use to you? car had done 122k, fsh, i havent replaced the chains and tensioners but it certainly seemd like a good engin, i put 17k on her in 2 years and the only issue was a new set of ht leads and inlet temp sensor. The engine is out and available asap so that could be a v cheap way to get running again?

Hey mate, where abouts are you? I'd have the engine for a short term solution....

ok, i'm in bedford, where abouts are you? I'm around in the eves this week apart from wednesday and the weekend up till midday saturday till monday as i'm going away for the weekend

i'm in london so will need to organize a van and crane from somewhere. Might take me a couple of weeks!

Gotta say i think your pricing is WAY over what it would cost if you did it yourself.

I've just rebuilt my VR engine for around the £700 mark (have lost count and darn't add it all up) but thats alot less than £2k

I also have an R32 engine which is for sale for £1300 in the parts for sale section, on top of this you would need a conversion manifold (£400), an oil cooler (£200), wiring converted (dependant on who does it £250-£1500) and some pipes converting and then dependant on how far into the conversion and how much money you want to splash out you could probably get it done for £2.5k and have change left over.

Selling a car with a dud engine just isn't a good idea, you will lose loads of money. worst case and cheapest option would be to just buy another VR and chuck it in, you could probably pick up a replacement for £400.

Think Im at the stage now where I just want a car that works with as little work as possible. How hard is it to do an engine swap on a vr (standard engine)? I've heard it's a bit of a pain gettig it out

i have a crane this end to put it into the your vehicle, if you have a large estate/4x4 at your disposal then you can fit in the back of there, or a pick up... just not in the back of a corrado :wink:

i think you can hire them, or it might be worth putting a wanted post up to borrow a crane off someone in london nearby for beer tokens maybe?

just give me a pm when your ready to sort it out and i'll send you my details

cheers

andy

o and its really not that hard, it takes an hour or so to take the front end off then i found the exhaust manifold bolts the biggest pain but they came off, then its just a case of disconecting the driveshafts from their gearbox flanges, undoing the rear mounts, ensuring all waterway/fuel lines/oilways have been removed and blocked off to minimise leaks then lifting it out, takes a few hours but easily done in a weekend!

Hi Andy,

Sorry for messing you about but have decided to put the car into storage for a few months while I decide what to do with it as I'm having trouble making a decision at the moment!

cheers for the offer though.

rgds,

Harin