Sign in to follow this  
GreasyWeasel

Electric Sunroof Sticking

Dear all.

I've had my Rad for a good few years now and today the sunroof opened fine but on trying to shut it, it stuck halfway shut. Every time a pressed the button again It would continue to shut, but would only move about a centimetre at a time.... each time I pressed it. If I leave it a few seconds it will move a bit further but still jams.

I've given the whole area a good clean with a rag and WD40 but it's still jamming. It is a hot day, so components could have expanded and I can't find any ideas on the knowledge base.

Suggestions for where I could be going wrong to avoid a hefty garage bill?

Weasel

WD40 won't be any good, you need white grease or lithium grease,probably just a lack of lubrication....i'd give it a good greasing up then manualy slide it backwards and forwards a good few times, any problems after that then it could be the motor that is giving up the ghost.

Is it just struggling on slide ? and is it ok up and down on tilt ?

Calm down before you go to the garage, your propably going to spend money for no reason. i'm sure we can find the problem and rectify it.

just close it mate , and don't open it again :lol:

Listen to this man he is talking alot of sense. Forget it, walk away, move on with your life! It's just not worth it! Believe me!

Corrados where never meant to have working sunroofs it's a known fact! :D

The corrado sunroof is simple to fix........i took mine out repaired it and put it back in within the hour, please don't be put off by what people say about it...lack of lubrication over the years makes them fail thats all, a bad design is just rubbish,in fact it's a very good one but it gets overlooked in the way of maintenance which kills them........keeping it lubricated once every 3 months will make it last forever.

Ps. Weasel where abouts are you ? if your close you could pop over and i will have a look at it for you.

It's the neverending hell of living in a flat. Nowhere to store tools for Rad repairs!

Shawshank I'm in sunny Birmingham, and I'm pretty flexible when it comes to travelling to get the old girl fixed.

Mine was sticking like yours and only moving an inch or so at a time. Then it went bang because one of the cables pulls away from the rubbish casting. There's lots of info about fixing it on here when that happens. It involves taking the roof lining down and the replacement parts are expensive. Cheaper to buy a complete mark III golf sunroof from ebay.