Sign in to follow this  
boost monkey

Freighting a car overseas

Anyone know who I need to speak to for getting a quote for shipping my C to the states to do a long West-East roadtrip across mainland America?

Cheers,

Jon.

PS I bow down to Mr VR6, my Lord and Master

Give Carpoid a shout Jon, I know he was very happy with the company he used to get to Oz.

you may have problems taking your car over to the states.... from what I've been told from other people on other forums, the yanks are a bit odd about that they let people bring into the country to use their roads (although, if it's home grown, you can get away with just about anything from the looks of things! :cuckoo: )...

If I were you I'd check the regulations for use BEFORE looking into shipping as it may be a no-go from the start....

If it's not, let us know, 'cos it's something I'd love to do at some point if I can ever afford it! :lol:

I always wanted to do this, but kinda the opposite way, heading over to south east asia...not sure if its possible anymore though, you'd have to take some crazy route to avoid the trouble zones.

I wouldn't take my car to the US, I'd wanna hire a Corvette Stingray or something and go for a bit of top down cruising.

Henny, I guess if they already have Corrados over there, they can't object? Its more turbo monsters like Skylines which are not allowed iirc.

Henny, I guess if they already have Corrados over there, they can't object? Its more turbo monsters like Skylines which are not allowed iirc.

Nope, I think Henny is right, though only from hearsay.

It's not so much the engine cause they have stupidly huge stuff over there but all the other 'safety' bits that have to be on a US spec car. So they don't like allowing in non US spec stuff without it all.

Nope, I think Henny is right, though only from hearsay.

It's not so much the engine cause they have stupidly huge stuff over there but all the other 'safety' bits that have to be on a US spec car. So they don't like allowing in non US spec stuff without it all.

Ah, of course, which is why US rados have the knee banger thingy and silly seatbelts.

I do know of a guy who bent the rules an imported a Rallye to the US... he got an order from the government to have it crushed as he'd been using it registered as a normal golf and the authorities found out it wasn't a normal one... Ironically a couple of months later, they allowed the Rallyes to be imported into the US... :brickwall:

The US Corrado has different headlamps, side indicator/reflectors and the knee bar thingies to make it comply with US regulations... the seat belts are just 'cos they're lazy feckers who can't be bothered to undo them when they finish driving... /generalisation :lol:

Not directly applicable, but I looked into shipping my C across to Canada and you're looking at about £1,000, but that was to Halifax on the east coast.

If you wanted it trucked across to the west coast, then you'd be looking at considerably more money, then obviously another £1,000 to ship it back.

For that kind of wedge, you could hire something fun for a couple of weeks! ;)

Annnnd then you've got all the customs stuff to worry about as well. You want to do your research on that front, although if you get in touch with a shipping company, they'll probably know the rules too.

For that kind of wedge, you could hire something fun for a couple of weeks! ;)

A nice little brunette, pert arse, tight little shorts, cowboy hat, and he might have some friends he could bring....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

it's looking like finding a car over there, and selling before I return would make a lot more sense, what with the LHD and all.

Maybe even a Corrado perhaps! might be able to find one on the west coast.