Sign in to follow this  
sparkz

Ignition Switch....

Any 'how tos' on doing an ignition switch on a rado vr? Or is it a case of pulling the whole column apart to get to it...? Need to do it soonish for my mate as he gets dodgy looks as he starts his car with a screwdriver to the new switch!!

Can't really add anything on the wikipedia article other than make 100% sure you've got the smallest screwdrivers you can find, preferably Jewellers as they are perfect. Otherwise you would've wasted your time taking the car apart.

It's not really as bad as it sounds to be honest, steering wheel, instrument cluster surround off, cowling off etc. The hard bit is getting to that tiny screw!

Tis a real fecker of a job. Resecure the new one with cable ties around the lock housing - holds it plenty securely / safely and means if it goes again, you won't have to go through the same ballache getting that little screw out again!! :)

I'm not for bodge jobs - but it made sense to do it this way. Even Tempest suggested doing it this way - and he's a STICKLER for doing everything by the book!

Yeah, I probably would've done the same in hindsight had I know how often these actually go. I was speaking to Kev about it today and he pulled out 3 broken ones from his toolbox :shock: I couldn't believe it! :lol:

Mine appeared to still be running the original cream version, which was suprising for a 158k mile car. Original part number and everything so not a GSF version either!

are the symptons intermittent starting problems as mine is doing this sometines it starts other times it does not

i thought it may be the alarm (cobra 7928) but that seems ok i think ??

im with Jim on this, use a cable tie. Sounds like youre bodging it but, lets face it ... you'll have to do it again in the future. Just make sure you pull the cable tie as tight as possible.

are the symptons intermittent starting problems as mine is doing this sometines it starts other times it does not

i thought it may be the alarm (cobra 7928) but that seems ok i think ??

yup... :brickwall:

Yo guys have you tried just putting a bit of 3in1 oil on the key and leaving it in the ignition to soak in, mine was starting to go did this and now it's been fine for quite a while...