Sign in to follow this  
Chris

vr6 stalling problem

hi,

over the past 2 weeks my vr6 has stalled a few times. at 0mph, at 30mph, at 40mph, even when i was going down the motorway at 70mph and accelerating it just cut out. it has done it 10mins into a journey, it has also done it 30mins into a journey.

when it does this it happens suddenly without warning and i loose all power, if i put it into gear during a cut out it wont fire at all. it will start and as normal if i leave it for 30 - 60 seconds. its as if a sensor is failing then resetting.

the engine itself is sweet, runs great and has been doing so since i got it on the road a couple of months back.

anyone got any ideas what would cause an engine to do this? cut out randomly, hot or cold, at any speed then need about 30 - 60 seconds before it will start again?

the only items i have yet to replace are,

crank sensor

maf

lambda

coil pack

ht leads

i cant imagine this would be a sparking issue as even if it werent running on all 6 it would still run.

ive used 2 cam sensors and the problem remains. fuel pump is good, and the fuel pump relay has been changed.

all my electrics are fine, or the car wouldnt run fine after the issue and some days without issue.

its a sudden cut out, no rough running issues before this happens, no warning.

any ideas people? would a crank, cam, maf, lambda do this to a car? its got to be a sensor of some sort?

Sounds petrol and/or sensor related (dur) ...... checked it on VAG com?

Checked the ignition switch? When the ignition switch on my old G60 was on the way out, I didn't seem to get problems starting the car all the time but did get it just cutting out whilst driving.

Seems very likely it could be this given the complete lack of a pattern and the immediacy with which it cuts out...

Checked the ignition switch? When the ignition switch on my old G60 was on the way out, I didn't seem to get problems starting the car all the time but did get it just cutting out whilst driving.

Seems very likely it could be this given the complete lack of a pattern and the immediacy with which it cuts out...

the ignition switch is new so i cant imagine it would be that. im kind of hoping that the car dies all together so i can find the problem easier but its just so random!

i will try vag com but dont think itll show anything, the car runs great its only the odd time that it does this.

im just trying to list the things that would cause this problem now, im sure ill find it soon. one thing is failing and to be honest theres not much to these engines so it should be easy :) the fact that it wont start straight up for a short time period which is quite consistant each time points at a sensor failing, not something i would put down an ignition switch. its an interesting point though as it could cut the engine out but why would it not start afterwards but it can manage to turn the starter without fail?

anymore input guys?

have you replaced the ecu relay, 109? Only about a tenner so cheap and easy to rule out.

have you replaced the ecu relay, 109? Only about a tenner so cheap and easy to rule out.

top marks to you mate :) ive just replaced that ten minutes ago, was hoping to get the credit but you got there first lol. its the only thing apart from the fuel pump relay that will stop the engine the it has been. i will post up tomorrow and let you know how it did.

thanks for the replies :)

its only one day later i know but im 100% sure the 109 ecu relay was the problem. i forgot to mention my spoiler stoppped working properly when the problem started to occur, it would sometimes go up at 60mph, sometime not at all. since replacing this relay the spoiler has worked as normal with no issue. i really didnt know this relay failing would have an impact on the spoiler. it would move on the switch as normal but not automatically.

are these relays really only about £10 from vw? nice cheap fix for once :) may as well pick a new one up if they are.

I don't see how VW, even with their variable pricing, could charge any more than a tenner for a relay mate! :)