Sign in to follow this  
petervr6

coilover gone????

i have avo coilovers. i replacd the front drivers side damper about 6 weeks ago because it was leaking and started to make a banging noise. anyway, in the last couple of days i have heard the same knocking noise coming again, it doesnt happen on flat smooth roads. i havent had a chance to see if it is leaking yet. do you think that it is the damper gone again or am i missing something? everything seems to be wrong with my car at the moment.

Peter, best place for your AVOs, IMHO is the bottom of the bin. I had countless trouble with them in the past on my MK1. I even went mad, after having the fronts both fettled under warranty and bought two more brand new ones. One of which banged from new.

In the end I gave up and bought a Weitec TA kit from C&R which was great.

So good that I bought the same kit for my Corrado and transferred it to my Golf when I bought it.

Definitely not worth 500 quid.

Gavin

Loom going in the morning :D

thanks for the advice gavin. the reason i am asking these questions is because i dont want to fork out another £150 for the one unit, for it to not make a bit of difference to the noise, or for it to go again in the near future. where did you get hold of your c&r kit? how much was it? what sort of kit is it?

http://www.candrenterprises.co.uk/

Peter, The kit is German TUV approved, blah blah blah.

It is conventional struts and springs fixed height, although the rears have circlips for fine tuning the height. You can save money and have fixed damping if you want. Check with C&R but I think the fixed damping kit, is the equivalent of the adjustables set midway or something like that.

They advertise in The Golf etc. The TA stuff is about 350 and the nonA around 275. Honestly I have only adjusted my TA stuff once. I set it midway and then set it straight back to max.

Gavin

I had loads of problems with my AVO's. Ended up giving them away to a guy who had them already but 2 had leaked. Waste of £500 if you ask me. In addition to this the customer service I got from AVO was absolutely cr*p!

Jim

gavin, what sie wheels do you have? mine are 18's so the ride is going to be firmer anyway. i dont want to get the wrong sort of suspension and foul the wheels

gavin, what sie wheels do you have? mine are 18's so the ride is going to be firmer anyway. i dont want to get the wrong sort of suspension and foul the wheels

I was on 15s at the time with my C. I'd say it's the width that would give fitment problems not the diameter.

How big are your wheels and what size tyres are you using. If you move away from the original dimensions that VW designed the car with, you will compromise the handling.

For example MK1 Golfs handle just as well if not better on 13inch rims as they do on 14s. Its just that you have a better choice of rubber with 14s.

If you have7.5 or maybe 8 inch wide rims with max 215 tyres you should be ok. Any bigger in any direction is likely to give you problems. Can you get 18s that narrow????

The amount of lowering will make it more critical that the exhaust is fitted spot on.

Reference to 18s means you definitely rob banks!! :lol:

Gavin :D

the size is 215/35/18, i think they are 7.5 wide. they scrub on full lock but the car is lowered by at least 60mm at the moment. i think i will give c&r a call tomoz to see what they think. i am happy with the car only being lowered by 40mm on the kit you reccommended, as long as the ride isnt too soft i will be happy. i just want my C working so that i cn start enjoying i again.

i'm running 7x18's with 215/35/18 tyres

the rears now worries but the fronts catch on full lock, since fitting me brembos i now need to sort out the rubbing as it catches on inside of arch, bit of work and it won't foul.

i haven't yet dropped mine on the avos yet, i spoke to them before i bought them and they said it was to do with fitment, mine were fitted as they sugest down to the last t, but they make one hell of a noise, as if the front is gonna colappse. worse amount of cash i spent for a horrible noise but at the mo, the ride is fantastic

Reference to 18s means you definitely rob banks!! :lol:

rofl :-P :lol: