Sign in to follow this  
fla

oil flow into cooler - how to check?

A strange one this - my mocal cooler does not seem to get hot, it gets warm. You can comfortably touch it, even when the MFA shows 104-106.

The oil temp somethimes goes up to 110, with water at a max of 94ish. The strange thing is sitting in traffic oil wont go higher than 104 but as soon as i set off or drive around at say 30-40 it will rise and take time to cool down. It seems that the oil is just circulating in the engine and not going into the cooler.

Is there any way to check the flow there? Leon has suggested swopping the pipes over which i will do on the weekend.

It seems there are a few scenarios:

1. Thermostat not opening hence oil circulating in block

2. Stat openinng but central bolt blocked hence oil not going into sandwich plate

2. stat opening but pipes blocked

3. stat opening but cooler blocked.

TIA

wouldn't think swapping pipes would make much difference, does sound like there is no or limited oil moving through the cooler tho

when i first fitted on my old vr i got the thermostatic sandwhich plate the wrong way round - don't ask me which way it's supposed to go though :D did you read the static thread above

when i switched round the right way my temps dropped from about 115deg to 95degs

i think the plate only fits one way round as there is a seal on one face which goes against the block; the other side is a flat machined face which has the oil cap seal sitting against it. At least thats how i fitted mine, but i cant see how else it would go tbh...

Actually as an aside, its testament to the effectiveness of the spal fans that they are able to STILL keep the engine oil & water temps normal despite the cooler not being in circuit.

mine was a mocal one, i *think* i used the large seal of the oil filter between two faces - long time ago and car has gone now :( i definitely fitted the wrong way round as i took it for a blast and was rather dissapointed

did you use the longer internal pipe that came with the filter?

mine was a mocal one, i *think* i used the large seal of the oil filter between two faces - long time ago and car has gone now :( i definitely fitted the wrong way round as i took it for a blast and was rather dissapointed

did you use the longer internal pipe that came with the filter?

Not sure what you mean here? Are you referring to the large O-ring from the cooler? Also the internal pipe, i used the one with the kit, which dispenses with the standard oil cooler.