Sign in to follow this  
belfastfumanchu

Handbrake not very strong

The last couple of years I have just scraped through the MOT on the parking brake not being very good.

Despite taking it to my local garage last year and having them tighten it up as much as it would go (with the cable adjusters on the rear brakes) it still wasn't very tight, but it passed the MOT anyway. (To pass MOT they must be 16% or greater - mine was 18%)

Just to give you an example......In most cars if you let them roll a little bit and then quickly pull on the handbrake the car would stop quite sharply and you'd feel the back going. If you do it in my Corrado it just comes to a slow stop.

Also the rear brake discs & pads were changed not so long ago so what is the problem?? :brickwall:

Are your carrier bolts rust free and greased ?

The rubber boots on the carriers are not split ?

Your cables in tip top condition ? they are at least 16 years old !

mine went the same way as yours plus if left on a frosty night, it would freeze !

in the end i put mk4 calipers and new corrado cables on

All i can tell you is its cured it -looks good aswell !

Try your cables first ,it wont hurt to replasce them

the standard hand brake was crap from new... My first Corrado rolled down my parents drive, through our wheelie bin and fence, over the road and up the drive of the people who live opposite one day as I was sat eating my tea.... My dad thought I'd not put the brake on properly, but it had just cooled a little after an "enthusiastic" drive home ;) and let go enough to let it roll down the hill... :eek:

MKIV rear brakes are deffo a good cure, and new hand brake cables will certainly help too... 8)

Cheers guys. :notworthy: Hopefully she'll get through the MOT this year without having to do anything, but i'll take your advice and change to MK4 calipers and change the cable too within the next year.

MK4 calipers are certainly a proven upgrade but you might find new handbrake cables sort your issue out, cheap from VW too!

yeah cables definitely stretch, that's a given. If you got a spare £100 then do the mk4 calipers, else just change the cables. They're not much.