Sign in to follow this  
Jay2

Putting Brembo's on front of a G60 but what about the rear?

Got the Ibiza Brembo kit to put on the front of my G60 from 'Junkie' on here. :salute:

But just wanted a bit of advice about the rears? Read a few posts saying that there is no real need to uprate the back end but wanted to know any recomendations on discs and pads to compliment the front, before I take a trip to GSF? Proviso on my recent MOT sheet said the brakes were operating at 65% efficiency. :(

Also, would like to do this all in one go, so any advice on any other bits, pieces, I might need to change, will break and need to replace, etc? Will I need to alter the brake bias?

Any advice, help or pics greatly appreciated.

Looked through previous posts, but most seem to be for the VR6. :(

Trust me you wont need to do the rears, they were too good on my car never mind with doing the rears, you dont want the rear end swinging round on you by too much braking force. Make sure they clear your rims 1st before spending on the rears, for looks just increase the disc size with standard power calipers and paint them red if you like to match, you can even get Brembo stickers on. Trust me your going to be shocked at how effective those brakes are.

Approx 70-80% of the braking is done with the front.

Thanks Simon.

Will do the fronts and see how I get on.

Although have a sneaky suspicion that this is just a ploy so I have more dosh to spend on more of your parts. :lol:

to be fair, Junkie is spot on here... the fronts are the important ones, not the rears... think about it, the rear brakes have a bias valve to actually make them work LESS when the car is not loaded up at the rear! What's the point in sticking bigger brakes on the back when they're already being limited as standard! :scratch:

The brembo 305mm 4 pot kit is fecking awesome... you can pretty much stand the car on it's nose (end-o styleeeee... :eek: ) if you're brave enough and have grippy enough tyres... Saved my last G60 from being a full on head-on crash to just being a glancing blow anywho...

The only thing id add to this is change you brake fluid to say a DOT 4 or 5 (5 better but alot more expensive) and fit braded hoses on the whole car (costs around £150 depending on where you shop (6 hose set usaully))

which will improve the pedal feel after that its a service ex brake servo but really not needed if your is in prefect working order

oooo and the classic one is dont TRY your brakes out in front of a wall or car , maxium stopping power is only achived after say 100 miles bedding in :nono:

much to the disguse of my freind who plowed his car though a wall after fitting new discs and pads :brickwall:

stu ..

Already told him when he bought them to put dot 5 in. He has my old full kit calirers discs DS2500 pads and braided hoses. The pads stopped any brake fade full stop. With no ABS they would lock up if provoked. As i said they were too good.