Sign in to follow this  
jenks

Vr6 Engine Loom up in smoke! Update

Ok the cars has sometimes been running a little lumpy last couple of months, like only firing on 4 or 5 cylinders, but then it would clear and be all back to normal, I had put it down to plugs,leads, coilpack, as usual time is never on my side so it was on the 'to - do' list. However last week she has been running like a dream every day.

Coming from work today with my old man, the car ran really rough, worse than before, pulled into the drive of my folks house (just happened thankfully) and alot of white smoke came out of the bonnet, opened the bonnet to find this!

160620091027.jpg

160620091028.jpg

Now I had replaced the aux water pump 3 months ago, but this was no problem in removing and fitting, a few wires have melted by the looks of things, so looks like a that side ( i hope ) of the loom needs replaced. Or could it be water leaking into the wires???

I let her cool down and tryed to see what it could be, i turned the igniton on and the immobliser wouldnt switch off to allow the car to fire up, then the weirdest noice came from around the area, it looked like it was coming from the abs pump but it was actually closer the the engine, it was a high pitched rumbling noise??? By this time I was completely and utterly lost!

Now I know my basics but this im stuck on, what has happened to cause this, and what this noise?

Recently the oil and temp gauges stopped working, could be linked?

I have my old spare raddo for parts so I will try and use the loom that goes to the throttle body, coilpack,etc

Thanks in advance.......and for now corrado off the road. :(

I suppose it was lucky you found it when you did, could have been much worse. Good luck in repairing it.

You have removed or disconnected the battery haven't you? Just wouldn't want it to get any worse over night.

That connector can suffer from water ingress. If you are lucky it's only the engine side of the loom that has been damaged.

I'd try taking the connector apart and checking the wires on the car side of the wiring loom, and look out for a good engine wiring loom....

That connector can suffer from water ingress. If you are lucky it's only the engine side of the loom that has been damaged.

I'd try taking the connector apart and checking the wires on the car side of the wiring loom, and look out for a good engine wiring loom....

That was the 1st plan for tonight, take the the engine loom off my old raddo and see what happens, but yeah im praying no damage has been done to the other side of the loom or i am well in deep horse sh!t.

Water ingress you say? hmm thats strange becasue the old aux water pump was leaking real badly, new aux water pump seems bone dry............ :?

Sucks this has happened mate, your having about as much luck with your Corrado as me :lol:

I'll have to pop over and help you get this sorted, how you fixed for sunday, might be able to nip through?

Well ive managed to get the whole engine loom out, major bad news, as you can tell from the pics its burnt out, but to get the main plug apart meant prising it apart, the heat had melted the plastic, so major bad news part 2, the fuse box side of loom is fine, however the plug/connector has melted?

So what are the options, remove dashboard and follow it all the way through engine bay,bulkhead or what are the opinions on a good sparky being able to replace the plug? as after all thats the only damaga from what I can see?

210920091360.jpg

210920091363.jpg

ENGINE WIRING LOOM

210920091362.jpg

PLUG FROM THE FUSEBOX TO THE ENGINE

1 word....Gutted! :(

If you can get the car side plug off your old car then it wouldn't be too hard to stick it on with a little solder and some heatshrink. Although if you have the whole loom part from your old car it would be neater to move it all over, but I've no idea how hard that would be.